[Air-L] 'MEN Invented the Internet'?

Jeremy hunsinger jeremy at tmttlt.com
Tue Jun 5 11:56:16 PDT 2012

other than the gender bias issue... which i agree is just distasteful
and untrue.

the other real problem with the title is the term invented.

no one invented the internet.  a great number of people contributed to
early networking technologies, and eventually someone named a protocol
inter-networking protocol.  so at best we have someone who named one
operational parameter of the internet, but no one invented it, no one
as best as i can tell from my readings aimed for anything like it is
today until around 1996 when it became an object of commercial policy
and by then... it really was an assemblage of operating protocols and
networks that were quite old.  it isn't like ethernet, where we have a
possible inventor at all.  for instance, who can name the famous
actress who worked on on operational protocol for radio switching that
we now use in 801.11 radio based internets?  you all know her... she
didn't invent the internet, but she patented something very important
to today's internet.