[Air-L] men invented feminism

Alex Juhasz Alexandra_Juhasz at pitzer.edu
Fri Jun 8 08:45:38 PDT 2012

I am part of a global effort--FemTechNet--to archive and teach the
history of feminism and technology and invite members of this list to
join us in our collective efforts in building the world's first MDCLE.

“Dialogues in Feminism and Technology” is a Massively Distributed
Collaborative Learning Experiment: a feminist rethinking of a MOOC. For
our feminist endeavor, teaching and learning are adaptive, dispersed,
and shared.

As technology remakes academia and the arts, we see that critical
analysis of gender, sexualities, and race have been absent in much of
this re-thinking of disciplines and practices.  Feminist scholarship
that made great strides in the pre-Internet era may be lost in the
digital one. Feminists who work in a variety of disciplinary and
institutional homes may not share their histories or current work.

Course Description

Produced collectively by FemTechNet—a network of hundreds of
international feminist scholars in a variety of fields and
disciplines—“Dialogues in Feminism and Technology” delivers (and grows)
ten weeks of course content covering both the histories and cutting
edge scholarship on technology produced through art, science and visual
studies. Recorded conversations between luminaries in these fields will
anchor each of ten weeks of themed content, but from there, each
professor will tailor a course  best-suited to her students,
institution, locale, and discipline from a diverse, robust, and growing
database of “Boundary Objects that Learn”—readings, media, web-resources, and
conversations that are submitted and peer-reviewed for teaching by the
network. Shared assignments will link learners across disciplines,
institutions and national boundaries as their own efforts become part
of the feminist database and dialogue.

You can join the network by joining our listserv which sits on the
fembotcollective.org<http://fembotcollective.org/> site under the pull-down "Register"

Thanks and I hope to be collaborating with many of you soon.

Alex Juhasz
Media Studies
Pitzer College