[Air-L] the next step

Murray Turoff murray.turoff at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 04:23:40 PDT 2012

there is a long history of how to use the new technology of networking to
further invisible colleges or communities of practice with lots of
suggestions.  Some of it goes back the EIES system in 1976 originally for
that purpose and Barry was one of the members of the network analysis group
that was on EIES.   However, the new field of collaborative tagging did not
exist until comparatively recently and is referenced the paper i
suggested..   but the real key is developing an evolving index that serves
to index both the documents and the users of the documents so the votes can
be summarized for a person based upon the others in the network that use
the same index key which has been a property of some delphi to show how
those with different professional backgrounds voted on a given issue in a
delphi.

I just finished a delphi on future threats which compared votes on future
threats for those who are emergency managers, those who are academics doing
EM research and those in other academic fields like security, etc.    It
can be found at iscram.org under publications.   This one was sort of
amusing because academics and emergency managers both thought the others
had different views and out of 86 threats they came up with for the next
decade there was only one where there was significant disagreement on
importance of the threat for better planning.

Clearly if you were to do what i am suggesting you would come up with a
much larger body of active members.  We did have a network system on EIES
that was a recommender system back in the late 70's that operated for state
legislative science advisers and representatives of professional societies
(legitech).  There are papers on that system and the original reports are
on the njit library database of cccc reports.

http://library.njit.edu/archives/cccc-materials/index.php

http://www.iscramlive.org/portal/category-publications
The ISCRAM Future Threat Delphi: Nostradamus
Revisited<http://www.iscramlive.org/portal/node/2763>
published by turoff <http://www.iscramlive.org/portal/user/112> on Sun,
05/13/2012 - 17:03

During a 5 month period from November 2011 to March 2012, 36 professionals
participated in an exploratory two-round Delphi to develop a list of 86
threats in 11 categories important for the next decade which they felt were
not now receiving adequate planning or adequate development of mitigation
options.  This involved 14 academics studying Emergency Preparedness and
Management, eight practitioners in Emergency Management, and 14
professionals in other related fields.  A list of those involved is
provided, excluding those participants who requested anonymity.

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Sean Goggins <s at goggins.com> wrote:

> A paper abstract to the list would be helpful, along with a clear
> statement about how recommenders might be used here.  In terms of
> scholarly impact, there are efforts being made (this week) at the acm
> altmetrics workshop to imagine new ways of measurement.
>
> Group lens at Minnesota published a good deal about recommenders a
> decade ago. There is now an acm conference dedicated to recommenders.
> One challenge is that starring systems tend to compress ratings near
> the top in practice.
>
> See the links below.
>
> http://chronicle.com/article/As-Scholarship-Goes-Digital/130482/
>
> http://altmetrics.org/altmetrics12/
>
> http://recsys.acm.org/2012/
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sean P. Goggins, Ph.D
> http://www.groupinformatics.org
> Visit http://www.sociotech.net
> Phone: (215) 948-2729

> change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
> -- Margaret Mead
>
> "The most effective way to do it, is to do it."
> -- Amelia Earhart
>
> Distinguished Professor Emeritus

*Information Systems, NJIT
homepage: http://is.njit.edu/turoff