[Air-L] Networked as your text?

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Sat Jun 30 07:31:38 PDT 2012

It's textbook choosing season, and I hope you'll think about our Networked
book. I taught nicely from the pdfs last year. And it's less than $20.
Recommended by Manuel Castells, Vint Cerf, Clay Shirky, and others. (Full
list on Amazon).

Here's the jacket blurb:

Daily life is connected life, its rhythms driven by endless email pings
and responses, the chimes and beeps of continually arriving text messages,
tweets and retweets, Facebook updates, pictures and videos to post and
discuss. Our perpetual connectedness gives us endless opportunities to be
part of the give-and-take of networking.

Some worry that this new environment makes us isolated and lonely. But in
Networked, Lee Rainie and Barry Wellman show how the large, loosely knit
social circles of networked individuals expand opportunities for learning,
problem solving, decision making, and personal interaction. The new social
operating system of "networked individualism" liberates us from the
restrictions of tightly knit groups; it also requires us to develop
networking skills and strategies, work on maintaining ties, and balance
multiple overlapping networks. Rainie and Wellman outline the "triple
revolution" that has brought on this transformation: the rise of social
networking, the capacity of the Internet to empower individuals, and the
always-on connectivity of mobile devices. Drawing on extensive evidence,
they examine how the move to networked individualism has expanded personal
relationships beyond households and neighborhoods; transformed work into
less hierarchical, more team-driven enterprises; encouraged individuals to
create and share content; and changed the way people obtain information.
Rainie and Wellman guide us through the challenges and opportunities of
living in the evolving world of networked individuals.

  Barry Wellman

   Just published: NETWORKED: The New Social Operating System.
   Lee Rainie and Barry Wellman. MIT Press.
   http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=12791
   http://www.amazon.com/Networked-New-Social-Operating-System/dp/0262017199/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325258020&sr=1-1
   http://www.amazon.ca/Networked-New-Social-Operating-System/dp/0262017199/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336697601&sr=1-4