[Air-L] 'MEN Invented the Internet'?

Thomas Jones tajone02 at syr.edu
Tue Jun 5 12:14:29 PDT 2012

I agree - sort of.

Yes, the invention of the Internet involved many parties. But we must understand that the underlying infrastructure was mostly built by the US Army and AT&T (with latecomer Verizon). Tim Wu dives into this in his book "The Master Switch".

The closest singular person I can think of who "invented" the Internet would be J. C. R. Licklider. And lets not confuse the Internet with the World Wide Web. The Internet isnt composed entirely of web servers - it is here that Universities contributed heavily with the Department of Defense.

Thomas Jones | Graduate Student | School of Information Studies
http://about.me/othertomjones

Syracuse University
Hinds Hall
Syracuse, New York 13244