[Air-L] 4S/EASST Open Panel CFP: Due March 18

Ingrid Erickson ierick at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 06:24:27 PDT 2012

**Apologies for any duplication**

CALL FOR ABSTRACTS

Reminder of our CFP for panelists at the upcoming 4S/EASST conference in Copenhagen, October 17-20, 2012
http://4sonline.org/meeting

SUBMISSION DEADLINE: 18 March 2012

Track D: ICT, SOCIAL COMPUTING, HACKING, USERS STUDIES

Temporal practices and socio-digital organizing

Organized by
Ingrid Erickson, Cornell University
Steve Sawyer, Syracuse University

New forms and uses of information and communication technologies (ICT), changes in the ways people organize work, the ever-broadening
array of living and family arrangements, and increasing mobility are all displacing traditional temporal markers within our personal and
professional lives. These blurring lines occasion new possibilities in how we design tools, systems and policies to uphold or diminish these
boundaries. Punditry on the implications of these changes is rampant: it ranges from certain dystopias to breathless utopias. Much of this
recent discourse weighs issues of professional identity and temporal accessibility against values of personal agency and familial fidelity.
Evidence about the patterns and implications of these temporal changes is limited, hard to synthesize, and difficult to generalize. We aim to
begin redressing the disparity between imagined (espoused) and enacted (empirical) realities regarding the emergence of new forms of
digitally-enabled work and living by assembling papers and authors whose work focuses on questions such as: How do people legitimate
daily temporal practices? How do people appropriate ICT for use in managing their temporal practices? And, how do people manage their
work and non-work activities? These questions focus on insights into how people ‘use’ time, how they negotiate the interplay of
internalized social identities and their performance measures and the roles of ICT. In parallel, we seek to advance current theoretical
positions regarding how are communities, government, employers, and other large-scale social institutions responding to temporal practices
and enacted practices of sanctioning and legitimization of what people choose to “do?” In doing this we seek insight into the ways in which
ICT are being domesticated and consumed as part of daily temporal practices. To do this we will solicit panelists who seek a conversation
that interrogates the situation of blurred boundaries and temporal appropriation from a critical, multi-cultural, and socio-technical
perspective.

Submissions via this link: http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/ssss/4s12/