[Air-L] Literature on Internet memes/Images

Milner, Ryan Michael rmmilner at ku.edu
Fri Mar 16 09:20:25 PDT 2012

Hey Evgeniya-

I'm finishing up a dissertation on just that subject right now, so give me a few months :-). In the meantime, I think this article is a must read, even though it focuses on YouTube videos:

  *   Shifman, L. (2011). An Anatomy of a YouTube Meme. New Media & Society. doi: 10.1177/1461444811412160

Dr. Shifman has a nice discussion of the meme/viral distinction in that article. She has other work forthcoming on memes as well. Also, here are two great papers on image macros:

  *   Kuipers, G. (2002). Media culture and internet disaster jokes: Bin Laden and the attacks on the World Trade Center. European Journal of Cultural Studies, 5(4), 450-470.
  *   Kuipers, G. (2005). "Where was King Kong when we needed him?" Public discourse, digital disaster jokes, and the functions of laughter after 9/11. The Journal of American Culture, 28(1), 70-84.

Dr. Kuipers never actually uses the word 'meme' (fewer did back then), but gives an indepth analysis of 'internet collage jokes'. Last, it's not out yet, but this book dives into the meme/viral question some too:

  *   Jenkins, H., Ford, S., & Green, J. (in press). Spreadable Media: Creating Value and Meaning in a Networked Culture.

Feel free to email me off list. I'd love to talk more about your project and talk more sources. It's an exciting and emergent area of scholarship!

-Ryan M. Milner
Ph.D. Candidate
The University of Kansas