[Air-L] CFP: 2012 Law via the Internet Conference

Dmitry Epstein dmitry.epstein at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 02:05:23 PDT 2012

Dear Colleagues,

I hope you will find the following call for presentation relevant. Please
note that the deadline for submissions has been extended until April 2.

Additional details at: http://blog.law.cornell.edu/lvi2012/

Best,
Dmitry

-------
Dmitry Epstein
Cornell eRulemaking Initiative
www.regulationroom.org

CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS

In 2012, we mark the 20th Anniversary of the Legal Information Institute at
Cornell Law School, the first legal website on the Internet and the
birthplace of the free law, open access movement. This year also marks the
10th Anniversary of the Declaration on Free Access to Law, a document
crafted and signed by delegates from more than a dozen countries assembled
at the Law Via the Internet (LVI) conference in 2002. To mark this
achievement and to strategize for the next 20 years, the 2012 LVI conference
will be held in the United States for the first time, at the birthplace of
the open access, free law movement, Cornell Law School in Ithaca, NY. Please
join us!

The format of this year's conference differs slightly from past conferences.
Each day will begin with a keynote address delivered to all participants by
a high-profile speaker. Following the keynote, participants will then attend
shorter sessions in five themed tracks:
	- The Promise and Reality of e-Participation
	- The Business of (Open) Legal Publishing
	- Free Law and Government Policy
	- Application Development for Open Access and Engagement
	- Data Organization and Legal Informatics

Each track session will be one hour in duration with 30 minutes for open
discussion in between sessions. Sessions can take the form of papers, visual
demonstrations, panel discussions, or any format which is suitable to the
material being discussed. There will be four sessions on Monday and four
sessions on Tuesday, for a total of 40 in all. Attendees are encouraged to
move freely between tracks to sessions which interest them.

We expect nearly 500 attendees in all. Catered lunches will be provided on
Monday and Tuesday at the conference location. In addition, there will be an
opening reception on the evening of Sunday, October 7, an Anniversary Gala
on Monday evening with dining and dancing, and a closing reception after the
last session on Tuesday afternoon.

*Our Approach to Presentations*

The Law via the Internet community now reaches significantly beyond the
academic community where open access to law began. LVI 2012 is meant to be a
place for interaction and discussion among researchers, practitioners, and
policymakers situated in universities, in private industry, in government,
in non-profit settings outside universities, and wherever people who work
with open access to law can be found.

For that reason, we are soliciting presentations in addition to papers. Both
approaches will be considered equally in the selection process.

Please read the Track Descriptions to learn what themes are being explored
and decide under which Track your submission should be considered. Bear in
mind that the conference chairs and organizers reserve the right to move
your submission to a different track for reasons of thematic continuity or
scheduling. Submission and review of proposals and abstracts will be
coordinated through our registration site.

Proposals and/or abstracts are due by March 15, 2012. The more details you
can provide, the better. You will be notified of the chair's decisions no
later than May 1, 2012.

*To Propose a Presentation*

Please submit a 400-500 word description of your presentation, which may
take any form: moderated panel discussion, single speaker, or multiple
speakers.

Please provide names and biographic information on each person who will
participate in your presentation.

If your presentation is accepted, we would appreciate sharing either the
text of your presentation, or the slides or other materials you may be
using, so that it can be shared with conference attendees who may not have
been able to attend your specific session. All presentations will be video
recorded and available for download after the conference.

If for purposes of funding or travel, you need your presentation to be peer
reviewed, we will provide it.

*To Submit a Paper*

Those wishing to submit papers should submit a 400-500 word abstract or a
first draft.

Accepted papers will be published in PDF format on the conference website.
We are not currently planning to create a printed volume of proceedings.