[Air-L] Looking for texts for "Digital Interfaces" course

Ryan S Eanes rse at uoregon.edu
Mon Nov 5 21:57:59 PST 2012

Hi all,

I've been given tentative approval from the assistant dean in my department to design a course for some of the undergraduates in our school, and I'm looking for texts that might be particularly relevant for the course.

The course title is "Digital Interfaces," and the focus will be specifically on mobile devices as well as web usability and what makes for a compelling, useful and intuitive interface.

As this will be an undergraduate course, right now I'm considering the following:
Hoober, S. & Berkman, E. (2011). Designing Mobile Interfaces. Sebastopol, CA: O’Reilly Media.
Krug, S. (2005). Don’t Make Me Think!: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability. Berkeley, CA: New Riders.
Tidwell, J. (2011). Designing Interfaces. Sebastopol, CA: O’Reilly Media.

While students won't necessarily be designing interfaces, I would like to at least give them a viable introduction as to what makes for a good interface (which may make one or more of these texts irrelevant).

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

RE

--
Ryan S Eanes
Media Studies PhD Student & Graduate Teaching Fellow
rse at uoregon.edu
http://blogs.uoregon.edu/eanes

   University of Oregon School of Journalism & Communication
   1787 Agate Hall, Room 124
   1275 University of Oregon
   Eugene, OR 97403-1275