[Air-L] policies on students and social media platforms

Marj Kibby Marj.Kibby at newcastle.edu.au
Wed Nov 7 15:08:10 PST 2012

Hi Holly,

We have an official "Social Media Communication Policy"

http://www.newcastle.edu.au/policy/000953.html

Regards,
Marj

Associate Professor Marjorie Kibby, B.Ed, M.A, Ph.D, FHERDSA
Director, Student Experience FEDUA
School of Humanities and Social Science
The University of Newcastle  Callaghan NSW 2308 Australia
Marj.Kibby at newcastle.edu.au
+61 2 49216604
>>> Holly Kruse <holly.kruse at gmail.com> 08/11/12 8:26 AM >>>
I've volunteered to spearhead a department initiative to draft an
ethics document. Part of it would involve whether it's okay to require
students to have or use online presences on social network sites or
blogging platform for class. I have my own complicated feelings about
this (which are rather site-specific and related to privacy controls
and other factors), but I'm wondering if there are any academic
departments out there that have grappled with this issue and have
policies about it.

Thanks,

Holly