[Air-L] Marxist Critiques of Online Advertising?

Andy McStay andymcstay at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 21:35:44 PST 2012

Hi Adam,

Hopefully this doesn't come across as too spammy, but both my books below deal with critical conceptions of online advertising. The first is a more general account that outlines key areas we need to be thinking about in considering online advertising (for example as well as addressing dataveillance and privacy type issues it also discusses creativity). The second more directly addresses behavioural advertising systems, audience-as-commodity issues, biopolitics, feedback systems, sentiment mining and ways of pre-empting 'being'.

McStay, A. (2009) Digital Advertising. London: Palgrave-Macmillan.
McStay, A. (2011) The Mood of Information. New York: Continuum.

Also see the Surveillance and Society special issue on Consumption and Surveillance: http://www.surveillance-and-society.org/ojs/index.php/journal/issue/view/Consumption

Cheers,
Andy