[Air-L] Marxist Critiques of Online Advertising?

Christian Fuchs christian.fuchs at uti.at
Tue Nov 6 17:41:09 PST 2012

Hi,

It is just interesting that the words "Marx" and "Marxist critique" turn
up on this list...

Just something to observe - we are living in Marxian times, indeed... So
we need Marxist Internet Studies. But what is Marxist Internet Studies?

Best, Christian

Am 11/6/12 4:51 AM, schrieb Jay Hauben:
> Hi Adam,
>
> I am not sure what makes something a Marxist critique. But in 2002 this
> paper was published in Science Studies, Vol. 15(2002) No.1, 61-68:
>
> "Commodifying Usenet and the Usenet Archive or Continuing the Online
> Cooperative Usenet Culture?" by Ronda Hauben
>
> http://www.columbia.edu/~rh120/other/usenetstts.pdf
>
> Take care.
>
> Jay
>
>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Message: 3
>>
>> Anybody know of any Marxist critiques of online advertising? Anything
>> looking at Pagerank and YouTube advertising through the frames of
>> monopolisation, commodification, and accumulation?
>>
>> Des Freedman has an excellent starting point in Web 2.0 and the Death
>> of the Blockbuster Economy in Misunderstanding the Internet. Anything
>> else?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Adam Fish, PhD
>> Lecturer, Media and Cultural Studies
>> Bowland North, Floor B
>> Department of Sociology
>> Lancaster University, UK
>> LA1 4YT
>> p. 01524592699
>> a.fish2 at lancaster.ac.uk
>> @mediacultures, mediacultures.org
>> http://www.lancs.ac.uk/fass/sociology/profiles/Adam-Fish/

- - -
Christian Fuchs
Unified Theory of Information Research Group
christian.fuchs at uti.at
http://www.uti.at
Personal: http://fuchs.uti.at
NetPolitics Blog: http://fuchs.uti.at/blog
Editor of tripleC: http://www.triple-c.se
Chair of ESA RN18-Sociology of Communications and Media Research
ICTs and Society Network: http://www.icts-and-society.net

Chair in Media and Communication Studies
Department of Informatics and Media
Uppsala University
KyrkogŒrdsgatan 10
Box 513