[Air-L] For Your Consideration: The NEW AOIR Ethics Document

Annette Markham amarkham at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 01:56:08 PST 2012

Dear Colleagues:

Almost exactly ten years ago, the AOIR ethics committee sent a note to this
mailing list asking for the AOIR members to endorse a new statement on
ethical decision-making.  On behalf of the AIOR ethics committee, we are
pleased to present Version 2.0 for your consideration.

You might remember that we provided a draft version of this document last
year. After collecting comments and then discussing the document at the
AOIR conference in Seattle, we revised to the final form.  The Ethics
Committee has approved this document. And the Executive Committee has
endorsed it.  Now, we ask for your endorsement as a membership.

The question we’d like you to answer is this:

"Should AoIR endorse the ethics committee's new statement on ethical
decision-making as its statement of principles of Internet research ethics,
with the understanding that this statement is open to future revisions in
light of additional ethical insight and/or new technological developments?"

If you are a member of AOIR (and if you’re not, now’s a great time to
consider joining!), please:

a) review the new document

http://www.aoir.org/documents/ethics-guidelines/ethics.pdf

and then

b) login to the members-only section of the AOIR website to vote on whether
or not you would like AOIR membership to endorse it.
https://aoir.org/welcomemembers/

Voting is now open, and will close midnight, November 26, Eastern Standard
Time, 2012.

As always, we are grateful to the members of the ethics committee for their
hard work, deliberation, and insight.

Best Regards,

Annette Markham, incoming chair of the AOIR Ethics Committee
Elizabeth Buchanan, outgoing chair of the AOIR ethics committee
Alex Halavais, President of AOIR

P.S.  If you have questions, additional commentary, or copy-editing
corrections for the document, we welcome it via email to amarkham at gmail.com