[Air-L] Join the Northwestern University Ph.D. Program in Media, Technology and Society!

Dept of Communication Studies commstudies at northwestern.edu
Tue Nov 13 14:10:22 PST 2012

Join the Northwestern University Ph.D. Program in Media, Technology and Society!

The Graduate School at Northwestern University is seeking exceptional applicants to join the Ph.D. program in Media, Technology and Society<http://mts.northwestern.edu/> (MTS) to start in Fall 2013.

MTS is an interdisciplinary program that provides a graduate environment for innovative research in the study of media and communications technologies. It allows students great autonomy both within MTS and the University at large to design individual programs of study. Drawing on the University's diverse resources and distinguished faculty, MTS encourages research on historical, contemporary, and emerging media that challenges traditional disciplinary boundaries and assumptions.

MTS has experienced significant growth lately. Six new professors --Jeremy Birnholtz, Aymar Jean Christian, Amy Shirong Lu, Anne-Marie Piper, Aaron Shaw and Michelle Shumate-- have joined our core faculty<http://www.communication.northwestern.edu/programs/phd_media_technology_society/faculty.php> this academic year, which also includes Pablo J. Boczkowski, Noshir Contractor, James Ettema, Darren Gergle, Wendy Griswold, Eszter Hargittai, Paul Leonardi, Jennifer Light, Barbara O’Keefe, Daniel O’Keefe, Janice Radway, James Schwoch, Ellen Wartella, James Webster, and D. Charles Whitney.

In addition, our highly active student body<http://www.communication.northwestern.edu/programs/phd_media_technology_society/students.php> recently hosted InfoSocial<http://comm.soc.northwestern.edu/mts-conference/>, an international conference for graduate student scholarship in the area of media, technology and society.

As we continue to grow, we seek to recruit students from a variety of backgrounds in humanities, social and behavioral sciences, human-computer interaction, and historical and cultural studies. We are particularly interested in students who can thrive within an interdisciplinary environment, and bring to their graduate education a passion for research and innovation.

Deadline for application to the next academic year is December 1st, 2012. For more details on the program, faculty, and admissions requirements see:
http://mts.northwestern.edu<http://mts.northwestern.edu/>

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the program director, Pablo J. Boczkowski <pjb9 at northwestern.edu<mailto:pjb9 at northwestern.edu>>.