[Air-L] discursive construction of online anonymity

Murray Turoff murray.turoff at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 16:52:30 PST 2012

Anonymity and pen names have been an integral part of the Delphi Method and
have been
done online beginning in 1972.   A summary of the reasons for using
anonymity are summarized
in the Delphi Method book on my website.   A lot of computer Mediated
Communication systems allowed the
choice of anonymity or pen names in group discussions.

An early controlled experiment on 5 person groups in middle management in a
major company was
done by roxanne hiltz in hte late 70's comparing the different outcomes of
groups using pen names verses their
actual name showed that when managers had to use their real names they
never talked about what they considered to
be past wrong decisions made by the company.    when they used pen names
they brought up a lot of past related decisions relevant to the planning
problem they were suppose to resolve.

it was published, but the complete oriignal detailed report of the "cccc"
research center at njit is listed in the library at njit online archive of
cccc reports.

http://library.njit.edu/archives/cccc-materials/index.php

RR#21 Mode of communication and the "risky shift" : a controlled experiment
with computerized conferencing and anonymity in a large
corporation<http://archives.njit.edu/vhlib/cccc-materiasl/njit-cccc-rr-021/njit-cccc-rr-021.pdf>
Jan.
1985 Starr Roxanne Hiltz, Murray Turoff, Kenneth Johnson
there is also an earlier write up about anonymity that might be of interest

RR#11 A discussion of selected aspects of privacy, confidentiality, and
anonymity in computerized
conferencing<http://archives.njit.edu/vhlib/cccc-materiasl/njit-cccc-rr-011/njit-cccc-rr-011.pdf>
Aug.
1978 Robert Bezilla

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 11:24:43 +0000
> From: Kornelia Trytko <ktrytko.ntu at gmail.com>
> To: air-l at listserv.aoir.org
> Subject: [Air-L] discursive construction of online anonymity
>
> Hello everyone,
>

> I?m looking for suggestions concerning discursive construction of online
> anonymity in traditional and new media. I was able to identify one paper on
> the representations of online anonymity in Canadian newspapers
>
> http://firstmonday.org/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/rt/printerFriendly/1999/1874and
> I?m searching for more.
>

> My current project investigates the public discourse surrounding online
> anonymity in Poland. I want to explore who, how and why shapes the debate
> concerning anonymity on the Internet (with the particular focus on the
> ?real name? policy advocated by Facebook). I?m also researching the
> consequences of this debate for a democratic public sphere.
>

> Any suggestions and contacts to people doing similar thing will be highly
> appreciated.
>

> Best wishes,
>

> Kornelia Trytko
>
> PhD candidate
>
> Nottingham Trent University
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 06:56:42 -0800
> From: Arun Menon <noreply at mail.goodreads.com>
> To: AoIRL <air-l at listserv.aoir.org>
> Subject: [Air-L] Check out my books
>
> Hi AoIRL,
>
> Check out the books I added on Goodreads.
>

> http://www.goodreads.com/friend/i?i=LTM1OTg5NDE5MDg6MzYx&e=air-l@listserv.aoir.org&n=AoIRL&utm_medium=email&utm_source=invite
>
> - Arun
> (arun.kid86 at gmail.com)
>
> Goodreads is a community for book lovers. It's a great way to get book
> recommendations from your friends and others. You can keep a list of books
> to read, join book clubs, and even take the never-ending book trivia quiz.
>
> _____________________________
>
> To opt-out of future invites to Goodreads please follow this link:
> /user/block_email?inviter_id=8163322&utm_content=A&utm_medium=email&utm_source=invite
>
> This email was sent by request to air-l at listserv.aoir.org.
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 21:40:46 +0530
> From: Arun Menon <arun.kid86 at gmail.com>
> To: Arun Menon <arun.kid86 at gmail.com>
> Cc: AoIRL <air-l at listserv.aoir.org>
> Subject: Re: [Air-L] Check out my books
>
> Ack!! My apologies. Kindly disregard.
>

> On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 8:26 PM, Arun Menon <noreply at mail.goodreads.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Hi AoIRL,
> >
> > Check out the books I added on Goodreads.
> >

> http://www.goodreads.com/friend/i?i=LTM1OTg5NDE5MDg6MzYx&e=air-l@listserv.aoir.org&n=AoIRL&utm_medium=email&utm_source=invite
> >
> > - Arun
> > (arun.kid86 at gmail.com)

> [...]
   1. discursive construction of online anonymity (Kornelia Trytko)

--
*Distinguished Professor Emeritus
Information Systems, NJIT