[Air-L] Looking for references on grammatical prejucice

Ruy Cervantes ruy at ics.uci.edu
Mon Nov 26 21:05:19 PST 2012

Casey

The work of James Gee on social
literacies<http://books.google.com.mx/books?hl=en&lr=&id=xqFNjA8e6rkC&oi=fnd&pg=PP1&dq=james+gee&ots=ubL33bDLk7&sig=SRHM94LEcxXdZmOr77DX9S5LWOo#v=onepage&q=james%20gee%20story%20time&f=false>might
be interesting as a way to frame your analysis. He analyzed how our
use of language is shaped by our social context. People select words,
spellings, and ways to tell stories according to their background. For
instance, in his book he beautifully analyze how a little African-American
girl tells a story in the sharing time of her classroom not using "correct
English" in the eyes of the cultural models of her white teacher. Gee
explains how in fact the features of language used by the black girl were
in fact quite advanced and expressive.

Hope Gee's work relevant.

Ruy