[Air-L] Seeking participants for HASTAC panel about social media use in the classroom

Jacqueline Vickery jacqueline.vickery at unt.edu
Tue Oct 23 16:39:56 PDT 2012

I’m looking for two or three participants for a panel about the use of new
media in the college classroom to be presented at the 2013 HASTAC
conference<http://hastac2013.org/cfp/> in
Toronto, April 25-28.  The style will be a structured conversation among
panelist in which we share our experiences, successes, and failures of
using social/digital media in the classroom. Because the conference theme
is about the past and looking forward, I envision the panel talking about
the transformation of technologies alongside the evolution of student
skills and literacies. The purpose is to think critically about the
possibilities and limitations of using social media as a resource in the
classroom and to further explore some of the opportunities and challenges
associated with using digital media as a teaching tool.

Possible questions could address:  Is Live Tweeting in class beneficial or
a distraction? How might Wikis support collaborative learning? At a time
when students can instantaneously look up information online, how might
tests, assignments, and evaluations tap into connected learning in and out
of the classroom? Where is the line between collaboration and cheating?
What is the purpose of exams, which require students to study and memorize
information, in an era in which information is quickly and readily
available online? How can social media tools facilitate new modes of
learning? What digital skills and literacies should colleges equip students
with in order to prepare them for future careers?

Please send a brief bio as well as a 200-300 word abstract to Jacqueline
Vickery (jacqueline.vickery at unt.edu) by November 5, 2012. Briefly explain
your experiences using social media in the classroom, questions you would
raise, and how your experiences relate to the conference and panel themes.

Thank you!

- jacqueline

Dr. Jacqueline Vickery, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor