[Air-L] Call for Participation: ISPR 2012 conference at Temple University

Jan Fernback fernback at temple.edu
Fri Oct 5 10:56:22 PDT 2012

Apologies for x-posts

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Matthew Lombard <lombard at temple.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 10:36:02 -0400

ISPR 2012 "Presence Live!" Conference
International Society for Presence Research Annual Conference
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
October 25 - 26, 2012
http://presencelive.info
[Immediate Contact: Tim Downs, Interwork Media, Inc.;  1+949-235-8985]

The concept of telepresence, often shortened to `presence,´ is
commonly referred to as a
sense of `being there´ in a virtual environment and can be more
broadly defined as an
illusion of non-mediation in which users of any technology overlook or
misconstrue the
technology´s role in their virtual experience.
A telepresence conferencing system makes us feel as if we´re
face-to-face; an online virtual
world seems real; a 3D IMAX film makes us reach out to touch objects
on the screen; we
get `lost´ in the worlds of novels, TV shows, movies, videogames and
theme park rides;
doctors, engineers, explorers and many others operate machinery
thousands of miles away
as if they were at the remote site; students learn about the world and
workers learn how
to do their jobs using compelling simulations; we think of and
interact with computers,
agents, avatars, robots and androids as if they were living social
entities even though we
know they´re not; we´re delighted by perceptual illusions in
everything from ancient
Trompe-l´oeil paintings to modern digital art. As we expand
technology´s capabilities and
applications, we´re having ever more, and ever more compelling,
presence experiences.
Join us for ISPR Presence Live 2012, the 14th international conference
on presence. This
year´s event will showcase researchers and research studies from a
diverse academic
community in communication, computer science, psychology, philosophy, the arts,
business, education and other fields. Presentations and papers by
researchers and
professionals in commercial, government, educational and other
industry sectors are to be
featured. Other events include visits to presence-related sites in
Philadelphia and
conference reception and dinner.
PRESENTATION TOPICS
Presentations include:
Panel: Considerations for Social Presence Theory, Research, and
Application in the 21st
Century
Paul Skalski, David Westerman, Brian Blake, Kimberly Neuendorf and
Stephanie Kelly
Shared Space and Collaboration:
Getting Into the Meeting-Feeling: An Explorative Analysis of Presence in
Videoconferencing
Shirley Elprama, Katriina Kilpi, Aljosha Demeulemeester, An Jacobs and
Rik Van de Walle
Shared Mediated Workspaces
Charlie Gullstrom, Tjerk de Greef, Leif Handberg, Harold Nefs and Peter Parnes
Effects of Facial and Voice Similarity on Presence in a Public Speaking Virtual
Environment
Laura Aymerich-Franch, Cody Karutz and Jeremy N. Bailenson
What we Know (to include extended discussion):
How Immersive Is Enough?: A Foundation for a Meta-Analysis of the
Effect of Immersive
Technology on Measured Presence
James Cummings, Jeremy Bailenson and Mailyn Fidler
Factors that Cause Presence:
Effects of Media Form Factor on Smart TV; Frame Thickness Affecting Presence
Hwayeon Kong and Frank Biocca
Is Text Always Superior to Video? Investigating the Impact of Moving
Images, Standard
Video, and Text on Presence
Sean Bambrick, Robert Whitbred, Paul Skalski and Cheryl Bracken
The Effect of Motion on Presence during Virtual Sailing for Advanced Training
Fabian A. Mulder, Jouke C. Verlinden and Radoslaw R. Dukalski
Need for Presence and Other Motivations for Video Game Play across Genres
Paul Skalski, Francis Dalisay, Matthew Kushin and Yung-I Liu
Gender:
Is Virtual Reality Made for Men Only? Exploring Gender Differences in
the Sense of
Presence
Anna Felnhofer, Oswald D. Kothgassner, Leon Beutl, Helmut Hlavacs and
Ilse Kryspin-Exner.
Tracking Gesture to Detect Gender
Andrea Stevenson Won, Le Yu, Joris Janssen and Jeremy Bailenson
Beyond Embodiment and Social Presence: Preferences for Virtual
Assistant Gender and
Clothing Style
Jeunese Payne, Andrea Szymkowiak, Graham I. Johnson, Paul Robertson
and Rosemary
Henderson
Presence and Us:
Avatar Self-Identification as a Cognitive Metric of Self-Presence
Andrea Stevenson Won and Jeremy Bailenson
Presence in Our Lives:
Intimate Telepresence: Perpetual Contact and the Channels of Presence in Mobile
Communication
Julia Czaja
Virtual Presence Technology in Separation and Divorce
Richard Wolman and Richard Pomerance
Exploring Facebook´s Success through Presence
Angela M. Cirucci
Positive Feedback Messages and the Role of Presence during Exercise
Video Game Play
Jihyun Kim and C. Erik Timmerman
Models and Theories:
Extending the Computers as Theatre Metaphor: From Presence in the Theatre to
Telepresence
Maeva Veerapen
Comparing the Effects of Transportation and Central Processing on
Current and Future
Beneficial Organizational Behaviors
Matt Makowski, Robert Whitbred, Cheryl Campanella Bracken and Paul Skalski
CONFERENCE FORMAT
ISPR 2012 will have an interactive format in which all participants
(attendees, presenters,
invited speakers) attend each of the sessions as well as social
events, allowing participants
to exchange ideas and build knowledge together as the conference progresses.
FOR MORE INFORMATION AND REGISTRATION
Information and registration is available on the web at:
www.presencelive.info, or at
www.ISPR.info
ABOUT ISPR
The International Society for Presence Research (ISPR) is a non-profit
membership
organization founded in 2002 to support academic research related to
the concept of
(tele)presence. It publishes ISPR Presence News, which features news
stories about
presence; calls for participation in various presence-related
conferences, publications and
projects; job opportunities; and more, and is available in various
formats (RSS feed;
individual item and daily or weekly digest email; Twitter; Facebbok).
The ISPR web site -
http://ispr.info - serves as a resource for those who conduct
research, develop theory,
design, market, write about, or simply are interested in, the concept
and phenomena of
presence.
Contact:
ISPR
2020 N. 13th Street, Rm. 205
Philadelphia, PA 19122
USA
Email: ispr at ispr.info
ABOUT INTERWORK MEDIA INC.
Interwork media is an information services, b2b media and consulting
firm focused on
emerging technology communities and offering innovative technologies
to existing media
practices. For our partners - publishing companies, analyst firms,
trade groups - we
collaborate to produce high-quality information rich media properties
that deliver
personalized, information-rich and interactive programs for senior
management in multiple
industry segments. We have a 10-year history focusing on emerging technology
communities. Education and information exchange was, and is, the
foundation of all of our
media initiatives, be they on the web or in a live event.
Contact:
Interwork Media Inc.
30211 Banderas, Suite 200
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA 92688