[Air-L] Web 2.0

Emiliano Treré emiliano.trere at uniud.it
Sun Oct 14 10:39:09 PDT 2012

Dear Maria,

I recently co-authored a paper in New Media & Society titled *"Does Web 3.0
come after Web 2.0? Deconstructing theoretical assumptions through practice"
*.
In the first part of the paper, in particular, we provide a review of
current literature on Web 2.0 and Web 3.0 (including most of the scholars
cited in this discussion) which might prove useful to you.

Abstract

Current internet research has been influenced by application developers and
computer engineers who see the development of the Web as being divided into
three different stages: Web 1.0, Web 2.0 and Web 3.0. This article will
argue that this understanding – although important when analysing the
political economy of the Web – can have serious limitations when applied to
everyday contexts and the lived experience of technologies. Drawing from
the context of the Italian student movement, we show that the division
between Web 1.0, Web 2.0 and Web 3.0 is often deconstructed by activists’
media practices. Therefore, we highlight the importance of developing an
approach that – by focusing on practice – draws attention to the interplay
between Web platforms rather than their transition. This approach, we
believe, is essential to the understanding of the complex relationship
between Web developments, human negotiations and everyday social contexts.
http://goo.gl/gh6F2

All the best, suerte!
Emiliano

--