[Air-L] Suggestions/interest for a Mark Poster memorial panel for IR14

Tom Boellstorff tboellst at uci.edu
Wed Oct 24 17:04:11 PDT 2012

Dear all: I'd like to thank the organizers of this year's AoIR conference for putting together a wonderful event. I learned so much, made new friends, and reunited with old ones.

Next year's AoIR in Denver is of course a long way away. However, while it is fresh in my mind, I wanted to put out the following informal call. As was noted on this listserv a couple of weeks ago, my colleague at the University of California, Irvine, Mark Poster, passed away recently. He was a mentor and friend and I was influenced by his work since my earliest days of graduate school.

I am thinking of trying to put together a panel for the 2013 AoIR meetings in Denver celebrating Mark's work and influence on a range of fields having to do with the internet, technology, information, media, culture, and so on. I haven't thought it through in detail but I think a great way to celebrate his legacy would be for people to talk about how their work has been shaped by Mark's thought.

If you might be interested in participating in such a panel, could you please email me at tboellst at uci.edu. Also, if you can think of others who might be interested (and might not read this list), be they well-established scholars or more junior ones, please email me their names (and email addresses should you have them).

I'll work on this in the spare moments I can find in the next month or two and then decide if this idea is doable based on the response that I get. Thanks for your help! All the best, Tom Boellstorff

tom boellstorff/professor/department of anthropology/university of california/irvine/website