[Air-L] Media, Culture and Modernism (and the rise of the Internet)

Mathieu ONeil mathieu.oneil at anu.edu.au
Tue Oct 2 00:16:14 PDT 2012

Hi Massimo

The most well-known thinker of the information society is Manuel Castells but some people think he is not critical or theoretical enough. For an application of critical theory, marxism etc to information society and Internet issues you should check out the work of Nick Dyer-Witherford and Christian Fuchs. I can't think off the top of my head of anyone in that field specifically referring to Durkheim or Simmel. For Weber I wrote a book exploring online modes of authority and organisation and there is a lot of work done on post-bureaucracy, collaborative work in sociology and organisation studies but as for wider issues of modernity / rationalisation etc the dominant reference these appears to be Foucault rather than Weber or Lukacs.

Hope this helps,

cheers,

Mathieu