[Air-L] Facebook abstainers and refuseniks

Zeynep Tufekci socnetres at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 11:30:14 PDT 2012

I have an early study on this topic: Tufekci, Zeynep (2008). Grooming,
Gossip, Facebook and Myspace. What can we learn about these sites from
those who won't assimilate? *Information, Communication and Society. *Volume
11, pages 544-564. Full text can be found here:
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~zeynep/papers/ZeynepSocialGroomingandFacebook.pdf

My key finding was that the main concern wasn't just privacy but also
orientation towards social grooming. Non-Facebook users in my sample
(college students with tech access) were comfortable doing online banking,
for example, but did not get the point of "social grooming" in general, and
especially online. Here's the abstract:

This paper explores the rapid adoption of online social network sites (also
known
as social networking sites) (SNSs) by students on a US college campus. Using
quantitative (n=713) and qualitative (n = 51) data based on a diverse
sample of college students, demographic and other characteristics of SNS
users
and non-users are compared. Starting with the theoretical frameworks of
Robin Dunbar and Erving Goffman, this paper situates SNS activity under
two rubrics: (1) social grooming; and (2) presentation of the self. This
study
locates these sites within the emergence of social computing and makes a
conceptual distinction between the expressive Internet, the Internet of
social interactions,
and the instrumental Internet, the Internet of airline tickets and weather
forecasts. This paper compares and contrasts the user and non-user
populations in
terms of expressive and instrumental Internet use, social ties and attitudes
toward social-grooming, privacy and efficiency. Two clusters are found to
influence SNS adoption: attitudes towards social grooming and privacy
concerns. It is
especially found that non-users display an attitude towards social grooming
(gossip, small-talk and generalized, non-functional people-curiosity) that
ranges from incredulous to hostile. Contrary to expectations, non-users do
not
report a smaller number of close friends compared with users, but they do
keep
in touch with fewer people. Users of SNS are also heavier users of the
expressive
Internet, while there is no difference in use of instrumental Internet.
Gender also
emerges as an important predictor. These findings highlight the need to
differentiate between the different modalities of Internet use.

Best,
-z