[Air-L] Teaching privacy

Seda Guerses sguerses at esat.kuleuven.be
Thu Oct 25 03:00:28 PDT 2012

dear gerardo,

here is a short list of educational resources for different audiences which may be inspiring for your k-12 setting:

tactical tech provides a whole array of training and awareness material to activists and advocates. an important figure in their profile is ono the robot.
http://tacticaltech.org/
https://onorobot.org/

the european schoolnet has a whole archive of educational material from european initiatives. maybe ellen vanderhoven (in cc) can say more about that?
http://eun.org

david barnard wills created a beautiful card set for a role-play game a couple of years ago:
http://surveillantidentity.blogspot.be/p/privacy-card-game.html

in yoogle! (in french, soon to be translated), players act as stakeholder of a personal data market (developed by constant vzw of brussels)
http://yoogle.be/

finally, over the last two years, we developed a workshop to discuss anonymity as a strategy on the internet e.g., also as a "privacy tool").
as part of the workshop, we have a role-play game in which the course participants act out anonymous communications protocols.
the game inevitably gets people into hacking the system to conceal their communications. at one session last year at the piet zwart design school, the "observers" started denial of service attacks on the proxy by constantly calling out the person's name loudly. i guess it helped that they had a whole session on "protocols" (in their general sense, e.g., greetings, job interviews, dinners, as well well tcp/ip, http) the week before. the workshop invites participants to think of privacy and anonymity abstractly, but also technically; as well as the interaction of the two with politics of technology.

from past experience, i find that privacy remains a very difficult concept to "teach", unless you take a very specific (and limited) definition. i find it especially challenging to think through matters which we don't know about ourselves, e.g., how tracking and profiling work and reconfigure our lives. and, maybe most importantly, how do you raise awareness without making the participants feel paranoid or helpless? how do you teach kids without becoming moralistic? i guess playfulness and even awkwardness are interesting ways of exploring our new privacy and this in itself is an interesting line of research.

please do keep us posted on the other responses you get, as it is one of the strands of research in our current project on privacy in online social networks.
best,
s.

> From: geruzko at gmail.com
> To: air-l at listserv.aoir.org
> Subject: [Air-L] Teaching privacy

Dear AoIRists

Sorry for cross postings. I'm Gerardo S?nchez, research assistant at the
International Computer Science institute in Berkeley California. As a part
of a new project we are launching this fall regarding innovative teaching
privacy strategies for K-12 scholars, a group of collaborators and I
(Blanca Gordo, Gerald Friedland, Dan Garcia, et al) are developing new
techniques for teaching privacy issues over the network society. In this
regard, I would like to receive some feedback and recommendations from the
community on relevant literature and multimedia material if there is
something like relevant literary narratives or fables for raising
awareness
to kids or the public over their posting practices and their online
behavior.

I would appreciate your valuable insights

Best Regards

Gerardo S?nchez
Research Assistant