[Air-L] CFP - American Communication Association Conferenc

Jim Parker drjparker at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 09:38:10 PDT 2012

Please note that I'm in charge of reviewing papers and panel proposals for
this conference. I would love to have many of the AIR folks at the
conference.

-jim parker

*"ACADIAD – 2013"*

*The 2013 American Communication Association Conference*

*~A Celebration of 20 Years of ACA~*

*http://www.americancomm.org/*

*To be held in historic Lafayette, Louisiana
*

*"Taking Stock in Our Past, Present, and Future..."*

*May 29 – June 2, 2013*

*@ The Crowne Conference Plaza*

*I'm excited to invite you to attend the 2013 American Communication
Conference, from May 29 to June 2 2013, in Lafayette, Louisiana.  As
always, we are very pleased to bring together communicators from all walks
of life -- academics, professionals, students, and everyone who is
interested in this discipline that touches all of our lives.  In this world
of social networking and high speed global communication, it is more
important than ever to discuss and dialog about this most fundamental human
behavior.

Please join us in person, at our mini conference, for a heaping helping of
good food, great surroundings, Cajun hospitality, and collegial dialog
about all aspects of human communication.  I hope you will consider not
only attending, but submitting your own work for possible presentation.
Or, you might want to propose a panel on a communication topic of
particular interest to you.  We welcome all submissions and look forward to
reviewing many great entries.

So please take a few moments out of your busy lives to make plans to come
to Lafayette this crawfish season.  We look forward to seeing you then.

Dr. Phil Auter
ACA Executive Director *

COME JOIN US!!!  The American Communication Association (ACA) is
celebrating a twenty (20) year anniversary this year, and we would
definitely like for you and your colleagues to come join us for a
convention in Lafayette, Louisiana.  If you are an academic, or, a
communication practitioner, we want to hear from you!!!  This will be a
communication conference to be forever remembered.  Not only will we be
having a down-home good old time on the Bayou with a shrimp and crawfish
boil, we will also be examining some very interesting and unique
perspectives on the communication discipline.  Join us for a good time, and
more importantly, some great panel presentations from noteworthy
communication professionals.

In keeping with the spirit of ACA's "openness," our official *CALL FOR
PAPERS, PANELS, AND PRESENTATIONS* is literally ~open~.  Our general theme
is "Taking Stock in Our Past, Present, and Future..." but we are especially
open to the idea of projects and papers which address the future directions
that the ACA should take in the next twenty (20) years.  Young scholars and
practitioners are welcome to join us, as are seasoned veterans of the
academy and professional walks.  If you focus on the concept of human
communication on a daily basis, we are very open to hearing about your
work, ideas, and suggestions/plans for the development of a better ACA
communication
community.  As the good folk of Louisiana commonly say, "Laissez les bon,
temps rouler!!!" (Let the good times roll!!!).

*Call for Papers, Panels, Abstracts, and Presentations:*

*Deadline for Submissions*: March 15, 2013

*Notification of Acceptance/Rejection*: April 15, 2013

*Suggested Topics*: Presenters may address any topic related to the
discipline of communication.  For the 2013 Conference, submissions on
several topics are encouraged; they include: social media, technology,
communication innovation, electronic publishing, Web 2.0 applications and
development, international and intercultural communication, public
speaking, rhetorical studies, organizational communication, and
interpersonal communication praxis,  Panels on the history and future
of ACA are
of special interest.  We will also be presenting a showcase session on the
ACA online textbook project being completed by Dr. Lisa Schreiber from
Millersville University, exploring the global implications of this very
special working e-textbook model.

*Submissions May Include*: (1) abstracts of papers to be completed [no more
than 300 words], (2) panel presentations [include the names of panel
participants, affiliations, and working title of each presentation], (3)
round-table discussions [include the topic to be discussed, and the names
and affiliations of each discussant], (4) presentations that call for
technology-mediated interactive showcasing, (5) student presentations of up
to 15 minutes in length, (6) papers that need critique and feedback from
the ACA Community in order to be vetted for publication, and (7) speeches
of importance or significance.

*Conference Fees:*  $125 online prepayment by May 15, 2013; $150 on site.

NOTE: Your conference registration fees cover the following: (1) a
conference bag tote, (2) an ACA T-shirt, (3) ACA stationary and pens, (4)
all of the conference papers stored on an ACA16GB USB memory stick, (5) an
authentic Louisiana Voo-Doo doll, (6) conference facility usage by all, (7)
all coffee/tea/sodas/water and snacks throughout the convention, (8) an
all-you-can-eat shrimp and crawfish dinner on Friday night, (9) a PO BOY
dinner on Saturday night, (10) free wine and beer at the group conference
room facility, (11) a full bar reception by the pool, (12) morning beignets
from T-COONS RESTAURANT, (13) a special show with a Cajun comedian, and
(14) service tips for the students and staff who will be helping us run the
event.  *We aim not to lose money; but, more importantly, we aim not to
make any money.  The conference should pay for itself.  You will get back
what you give.*

In order to have your presentation, panel, paper, or abstract considered
for inclusion, please email your idea/concept to ACA President Dr. Jim
Parker (Professor of Communication at Austin-Peay State University) at
parkerj at apsu.edu  In order for ACA to properly review your work, please
include the following in all correspondence with Dr. Parker, who is the
Official Conference Organizer: (1) title of presentation, (2) type of
proposed presentation, (3) name and affiliation of the authors/presenters,
(4) contact information [including emails and telephone numbers of all
presenters].

Everyone should know that we have placed a *MAXIMUM CAP of seventy-five
(75) select attendees* for this special convention.  The conference space
that has been reserved can only accommodate that many people.  We at ACA prefer
to have more intimate settings in which to discuss our work, collectively,
instead of having huge conferences where you don't really get the chance to
meet people in significant, meaningful ways.  This intimacy is the hallmark
of the Association, and we value it greatly.

*Local Venue, Events, and Keynote Speakers*

Lafayette, Louisiana is the center of Cajun Culture in Louisiana and the
United States.  It is also home to the RAGIN CAJUNS of the University of
Louisiana.  Lafayette has a strong tourism industry because of the Cajun
culture, both in the city proper and the surrounding parish region.  There
is also a strong Creole influence in the area, although most Creoles (and
their descendants) originate from the east of New Orleans.  These Cajun and
Creole influences, especially when infused within the cuisine of the
region, are among some of the most famous in the United States.  The food
is spicy and the Zydeco music is abundant, reflecting the true "love for
life" that the people of this area naturally possess.  You will find ample
things to do while visiting Lafayette, and will be both humbled and
pleasantly surprised by the hospitality that Louisiana's inhabitants bestow
upon their guests.

The conference will be held at the CROWNE PLAZA HOTEL AND RESORT, located
on 1801 West Pinhook Road, Lafayette, Louisiana 70508.  Conference room
rates have been group negotiated at $110 a night for either an (a) single
king, or, (b) double queen room.  We suggest that you arrive on May 29th
2013 and depart on June 2nd.  Situated in the heart of the "Oil Center,"
the CROWNE PLAZA'S guests appreciate the proximity to businesses such as
Baker Hughes, Chevron, and Halliburton.  When it's time to work, the hotel
has free WI-FI access throughout and a well-equipped Business Center.  This
property is "the place to meet" in town with 14,000 sq. feet of event space
and 12 conference facility rooms in which to meet and greet.  A convenient
location means you can discover all the excitement of Lafayette.  The hotel
is near all of the top attractions, such as the Heymann Performing Arts
Center, Zoo of Acadiana, and Acadian Village.  As well, a trip to Louisiana
would not be complete without a SWAMP TOUR; and, if you're looking to spice
up your visit, you can easily take a tour of the McIlehenny Company's
Tabasco Factory, a short drive away.

For your personal entertainment, the night club "Scandals" in the CROWNE
PLAZA features an Old School Dance Club Venue, a Smoke Free Environment,
with Local Entertainers and Celebrities playing all your favorite Dance
Music from a time that many locals fondly remember and some that have never
experienced Scandals, will never forget!

In order to reserve a room for this event, please *CLICK* the following
link BELOW to the hotel registration website:
*American Communication Association (ACA) 2013
Conference*<http://www.crowneplaza.com/redirect?path=hd&brandCode=cp&localeCode=en&regionCode=1&hotelCode=lftpn&_PMID=99801505&GPC=cca>

We will be having several important events at the conference, which should
be noted by attendees.  However, a generic overview of events is necessary,
in order to facilitate a broader understanding of our 20th Anniversary
Celebration:

On May 29th (Wednesday), all conference participants should begin making
their way to Lafayette, Louisiana and stay at the CROWNE SUITES PLAZA on
1801 West Pinhook.  The airport code for Lafayette is LFT.  That evening,
we will offer a FREE beer and wine reception in the official reception
suite.  Signs will be in the lobby to direct you to this room in the hotel.
 Beverages and snacks will be served from 7:00pm until we decide to part
ways for the evening.  This is an informal mixer, during which time,
everyone can get to know one another.

On May 30th (Thursday), we will have informal gatherings throughout the
day.  Several tours of local landmarks will be made available, including
the TABASCO FACTORY, EVANGELINE OAK, and UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA
facilities.  The conference hotel will serve everyone a FREE "together
reception dinner" that night, as well.  We will also have another reception
event that evening in the official reception room, which will give everyone
a chance to talk before the official conference gets underway.  This is a
day of relaxed interpersonal preparation for the actual conference, but it
is highly suggested that you be there in order to get to know your
colleagues better -- before the business of the convention gets underway.

On May 31st (Friday), we will be having presentations from 9:00am to
6:00pm.  Lunch is on your own in the hotel restaurant, or, across the
street (Pinhook) at Chili's.  That evening, "Crawdaddy's Boil Catering
Service" will be putting on a true-to-life crawfish and shrimp boil outside
of the restaurant for us all.  This is an all-you-can-eat affair.  Come
hungry.  The hotel will be setting up tables and chairs outside, and we
will eat in the evening air, together.  Following the dinner, we will meet
in the reception room for another informal mixer event.  Beer, wine, and
sodas will be served.  Snacks, coffee, water, and sodas will be provided
throughout the day during the conference sessions.  *Our Keynote Speaker
for Friday night is Dr. Andrea Pitasi, Professor of Business Communication
from D'Annuzio University in Pescara, Italy.  He will be talking about the
mutual influences that Europe and America have had on one another where
communication study is concerned.*

On June 1st (Saturday), we will also be having presentations from 9:00am to
6:00pm.  Again, lunch is on your own in the hotel restaurant, or, across
the street at Chili's.  That evening, we will have another special treat.
 Custom PO BOY sandwiches will be brought in from a local favorite, OLD
TYME GROCERY.  Following our meal together, we will have a grand
experience, as we listen to the COMEDY ROUTINE of Cajun Comedian Johnathan
Perry (who is widely known as the Cajun Ambassador of Louisiana).  No need
to get tickets for this event.  Everything is included in your conference
registration fee of $125.  *Following the comedy routine, our Keynote
Speaker for Saturday evening is Dr. Peter A. DeCaro from the University of
Alaska - Fairbanks, who is Department of Communication Chair and Director
of the University Global Studies Program.  He will offer his closing
thoughts on the conference, as a former Executive Director of ACA.*

On June 2nd (Sunday), we expect everyone to make plans for departing.
 Remember that the CROWNE SUITES provides free shuttle transportation to
and from the airport.  Participants can gather in the conference restaurant
for morning brunch to say their good-byes.

If you have any questions concerning this event, please contact Dr. Tyrone
L. Adams, Local Host, at: theswampboy at gmail.com.  We request that you
distribute this widely, so that we can get a good draw of handpicked
scholars for this celebratory event.

--
...it's a crazy quilt reflected in a fun-house mirror! - Zippy the Pinhead