[Air-L] References suggestions: qualitative interviewing

Annette Markham amarkham at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 13:49:25 PDT 2012

I always return to James Spradley's "The Ethnographic Interview," because
he offers such excellent, structured advice on specific questions to ask to
avoid leading questions and to get rich accounts.  It's suitable for any
research context, not just ethnography. Sadly, I think it's out of print,
so you'd have to track it down via a library, but it's well worth the
effort.

The edited collection "Inside Interviewing" by James Holstein and Jaber
Gubrium (2003) is also very good.

For online interviewing, I highly recommend the book "Online Interviewing"
(Sage, 2009), by Nalita James and Hugh Busher.

There's also Janet Salmons edited collection on online interviewing  (Cases
in Online Interview Research, Sage 2011).

Annette

Annette N. Markham, Ph.D.
Guest Professor, Department of Informatics, Umeå University, Sweden
Affiliate Professor, School of Communication, Loyola University, Chicago
amarkham at gmail.com
http://markham.internetinquiry.org/
Twitter: annettemarkham