[Air-L] PUBLIC SYMPOSIUM: Converging on an NBN Future: Content, Connectivity, and Control

Sora Park sorapark at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 21:01:39 PDT 2012

Here's an event that might interest AOIR members, especially those in
Australia. Thanks!

*PUBLIC SYMPOSIUM: **Converging on an NBN Future - **C**ontent,
**C**onnectivity,
and **C**ontrol

***

*Date: **Tue **9th Oct, 2012, **09**00-1630*

*Venue: Clive Price Suite,** BLDG1 Level C,** University of Canberra*

The National Broadband Network (NBN) is the most significant Australian
national infrastructure project in decades. It promises to revolutionise
the underlying telecommunications infrastructure of the nation while
reshaping Australia’s policy environment for telecommunications. Broadband
is not just about higher speeds and ubiquitous connectivity but a complex
social system that can affect the various aspects of social productivity,
enhanced community engagement, improved education and health systems.

The NBN is notable for the level of criticism it has attracted, principally
within the fractured political domain, but also from those who see
alternative visions of network connectivity based on mobile communications.
Its ongoing deployment may be affected by changes to governments; however
its fundamental rationale and design is already remaking our use of the
Internet, through changes to regulation, consumer expectations, service
delivery and more.

The Symposium will offer an exciting and challenging look at the critical
questions and issues we face as the NBN commences widespread operations in
Australia. We bring together scholars, industry analysts and participants,
and government regulators and policy makers to address the important issues
that arise. We invite industry professionals, academics, policymakers and
the public to engage in this public discourse about how we can better adopt
new technologies and how we can enhance social connectedness.

* *

*SPEAKERS
*Matthew Allen (Curtin University)
Keith Besgrove (Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital
Economy)
Sean Casey (NBN Co. Limited)
Tony Eyers (Tektel)
Robin Eckermann (Robin Eckermann & Associates)
Gerard Goggin (University of Sydney)
Geoffrey Heydon(CSIRO Australian Centre for Broadband Innovation)
Gwang Jae Kim (Hanyang Cyber University)
Catherine Middleton (Ryerson University)
Lesley Osborne (Australian Communications and Media Authority)
Franco Papandrea (University of Canberra)
Sora Park(University of Canberra)
Rosemary Sinclair (UNSW Australian School of Business)

*REGISTRATION AND OTHER INFORMATION
*http://broadbandandsociety.eventbrite.com.au/

*ABOUT THE RESEARCH TEAM
*This symposium is part of an ongoing investigation of the “Broadband and
Society” research team launched in Oct 2011, in order to systematically
review the users, industries and the government in adopting new
technologies. We held our first public symposium in Dec 2011 in Perth.

Dr. Matthew Allen (Professor, Curtin University)
Dr. Catherine Middleton(Professor, Ryerson University)
Dr. Sora Park(Associate Professor, University of Canberra)
Dr. Chun Liu(Assistant Professor, Southwest Jiaotong University)

* *

*SPONSORED BY
*The University of Canberra, Faculty of Arts and Design