[Air-L] Election-related Information Diffusion on Twitter

Karissa McKelvey krmckelv at indiana.edu
Tue Sep 25 15:12:28 PDT 2012

Hey everyone,

I'd like to let you know about Truthy, Information diffusion research at
Indiana University's Center for Complex Networks and Systems Research

Truthy is a research project that helps you understand how communication
spreads on Twitter.
We currently focus on tweets about politics, social movements, and news
from the past 90 days.

We have been collecting data for the* past 2 years* from the *random sample
*provided by Twitter.
The main research interests include *providing an interface for social
scientists* who don't have access or the ability to collect this random
sample at scale *(FOR FREE! *[citations suggested]*). *

We provide and interface for you to:
** Study online communication networks with interactive interfaces that
visualize data and allow you to indentify interesting users.
** Download recent tweets, tweet volume over time, network layout, and
statistics about users (such as *predicted political partisanship*, *sentiment
score*, *language*, and *activity over time*).

You can also look at our new interactive visualization of election-related
memes (target audience is the public)
http://truthy.indiana.edu/elections

This tool allows the public to investigate questions such as:
 "How does volume change over time in response to political events?"
 "Who are the most influential users?"
 "How does information spread in the social network?"

*** Next steps?
We are working on an API so you can pull our social network data for the
past two years by writing simple python scripts. Look for our pub to be out
sometime in the future

Let me know if you have any questions, comments, concerns!

Thanks
--
Karissa McKelvey
Center for Complex Networks and Systems Research