[Air-L] CFP - Experiments in (and out of) the studio: Art and Design Methods for Science and Technology Studies

Laura Forlano lef45 at columbia.edu
Fri Sep 28 13:50:22 PDT 2012

Experiments in (and out of) the studio: Art and Design Methods for Science and Technology Studies
One day workshop, Tuesday October 16th, 2012

10:30AM-5:30PM, Copenhagen Business School, Copenhagen

The organizers invite participation in an interdisciplinary one-day hands-on workshop on emerging methods of critical practice in science and technology studies, in particular methods that engage with art and design as well as performance and exhibition. Ultimately, we aim to refine our understanding and also intervene in the way that objects can stimulate and embody critique in STS.

The workshop comprises three parts: (1) A morning of talks and participant discussion in the creation and interpretation of digital and material artifacts will operate as a means of exploring how techno-scientific knowledge is produced and how the social significance of that knowledge is refracted through material things. (2) A midday ethnographic exploration of the city of Copenhagen will focus on documenting urban technology through notes, photography, video and sketches to feed into the final session. (3) In the afternoon, we invite participants to build 'machines of enquiry' to materialise and experiment with the ethnographic material as a way of prototyping research insights.

If you are interested in participating, please send a brief (3-5 sentences) expression of interest and a short 250-word bio or CV to Dehlia Hannah dh2058 at columbia.edu by October 8th at 5pm EST. Please put ‘Pre-EASST Workshop’ in the subject heading. We will notify all participants about the status of their application shortly afterwards.

Co-organizers:
Laura Forlano, Institute of Design, Illinois Institute of Technology
Dehlia Hannah, Philosophy Department, Columbia University
Kat Jungnickel, Sociology Department, Goldsmiths, University of London
Julien McHardy, Sociology Department, Lancaster University
Hannah Star Rogers, Science and Technology Studies, University of Virginia

This event has been jointly supported by INCITE, Goldsmiths (University of London) and Microsoft Research Cambridge.