[Air-L] New book by Andrew McStay

Andy andymcstay at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 08:23:24 PDT 2013

Hello AOIR-folk,

I have a new book out with Routledge titled "Creativity and
Advertising: Affect,
Events and Process”. This is somewhat different to my past forays into
digital advertising and privacy as it focuses on the centrality of
creativity to advertising, and the ways in which it ‘miraculates’ it. The
blurb describes it thus:

“Creativity and Advertising develops novel ways to theorise advertising and
creativity. Arguing that combinatory accounts of advertising based on
representation, textualism and reductionism are of limited value, Andrew
McStay suggests that advertising and creativity are better recognised in
terms of the ‘event’. Drawing on a diverse set of philosophical influences
including Scotus, Spinoza, Vico, Kant, Schiller, James, Dewey,
Schopenhauer, Whitehead, Bataille, Heidegger and Deleuze, the book posits a
sensational, process-based, transgressive, lived and embodied approach to
thinking about media, aesthetics, creativity and our interaction with
advertising.

Elaborating an affective account of creativity, McStay assesses creative
advertising from Coke, Evian, Google, Sony, Uniqlo and Volkswagen among
others, and articulates the ways in which award-winning creative
advertising may increasingly be read in terms of co-production,
playfulness, ecological conceptions of media, improvisation, and immersion
in fields and processes of corporeal affect.

Philosophically wide-ranging yet grounded in robust understanding of
industry practices, the book will also be of use to scholars with an
interest in aesthetics, art, design, media, performance, philosophy and
those with a general interest in creativity.”

If your interest is piqued, the link to the publisher's page is:
http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415519557/

Do also drop me a line at mcstay at bangor.ac.uk if you are looking at similar
sorts of topics, interested in collaborating or would like me to come and
give a talk :)

All best,

Andy