[Air-L] (advice sought) Public safety and configuration of list

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Tue Apr 23 13:39:30 PDT 2013

Joseph Lorenzo Hall said:
> ... if you don't accept the decision of the list members ...

Maybe there's a misunderstanding here.  The list subscribers are not
responsible for the safe administration of the list.  The university
alone is responsible.  It could never pass that responsibility on to
the subscribers, even if it wanted to.

> ... to appeal to higher authorities that have much better things on
> which to spend their time ...

Well, it was university staff who appealed to counsel some weeks ago,
following an off-list discussion.  As I mention, the university is
evaluating the matter and has yet to make a decision.  My purpose in
posting is to ask advice from experts, and to remind the counsel's
office (a busy place, as you say) of the need for a decision.

Again, pending that decision, I recommend that the configuration be
returned to its default setting.  The default is known to be safe.

Mike