[Air-L] Internet Studies: Perspectives on a Developing Field - new publication

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 22:52:19 PDT 2013

Dear AoIRists,

On behalf of the co-editors and the authors whose work is gathered in this
special issue of new media and society, I'm very happy to call your
attention to the recent online publication of the Introduction:

Internet Studies: Perspectives on a rapidly developing field
Charles Ess, William Dutton
doi: 10.1177/1461444812462845
New Media & Society, April 29, 2013

<http://nms.sagepub.com/content/early/2013/04/24/1461444812462845.full>

To quote from the introduction - which is available as a free download -

We have organized the contributions to this issue such that they flow across
four general areas. The first focuses on the field as a whole, and is filled
by our lead article, by Tai-Quan Peng, Lun Zhang, Zhijin Zhong and Jonathan
JH Zhu, ŒMapping the landscape of Internet Studies: Text mining of social
science journal articles 2000­2009¹. We then shift focus to specific
Perspectives from Different Arenas, beginning with Jingyan (Elaine) Yuan¹s
ŒA culturalist critique of ³online community² in new media studies¹,
followed by Heidi Campbell¹s ŒReligion and the Internet as a microcosm for
studying trends and implications within Internet Studies¹, then an article
by Jessie Daniels, ŒRace and racism in Internet Studies¹, and Michel van
Eeten and Milton Mueller¹s ŒWhere is the governance in Internet
governance?¹. The next set of articles focus more on Methodological
Perspectives, beginning with Juliette De Maeyer¹s ŒTowards a hyperlinked
society: A critical review of link studies¹, followed by Niels Brügger¹s
ŒWeb historiography and Internet Studies: Challenges and perspectives¹. The
two final articles are both tied to Critical Perspectives on User
Empowerment, a cross-cutting theme of Internet research across various
research arenas. Anja Bechmann and Stine Lomborg¹s article is entitled
ŒMapping actor roles in social media: Different perspectives on value
creation in theories of user participation¹, and this is followed by
Christian Fuchs and Nick Dyer-Witheford¹s challenge to Internet Studies,
entitled ŒKarl Marx @ Internet Studies¹.

We conclude with a more general account of what we have learned about this
evolving field from this special issue in light of work on our respective
handbooks.

Several of the articles are already published online; the print version of
the complete issue will appear later this year.

We would also like to express our gratitude to numerous reviewers and to
editors Steve Jones and Nickolas Jankowski for their constant support and
assistance in developing and bringing this special issue to fruition.

Enjoy!

- c.
Associate Professor in Media Studies
Department of Media and Communication
Director, Centre for Research on Media Innovations
<http://www.hf.uio.no/imk/english/research/center/media-innovations/>

University of Oslo
P.O. Box 1093 Blindern
NO-0317