[Air-L] (advice sought) Public safety and configuration of list

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Wed Apr 24 23:40:43 PDT 2013

Yosem,

May I briefly speak in reply?  I will not be joining the admin list,
as it's only by accident that I became involved in this.  Anyway, I'm
sorry to have given you the wrong impression, but you make some errors
in describing my actions and motivations, and I wish to correct them.

> Michael asked that the Program on Liberation Technology at Stanford
> University overrule the list vote over safety issues because he said
> the position created a potential legal liability for the university.

I did not ask the university to overrule the vote, but only to act in
the interests of public safety.  If public safety is best served by
upholding the vote, then that is O.K. by me.  Nor was I concerned with
the university's legal position.  It was the university's own staff
who invited me to off-list discussions, and the university's own staff
who expressed a concern about legal implications, and then referred
the matter to counsel.

The only issue I consider worth discussing in this connection is the
issue of public safety, especially the safety of innocent people who
are not party to these discussions, not connected with the university,
and not connected with the mailing list.  The argument (which I
seconded, but did not originate) is that the configuration of the list
places these people in some danger.  I felt that *their* concerns
ought to have a voice before a decision was made.  So this is what I
attempted to do; though maybe I didn't do a good job of it.

> Michael, however, insists that there are safety issues.  ...

Well, I have never *insisted* on that.  My crime was to ask whether or
not the safety concerns that were raised are valid, and I directed
this question to experts in particular.  But apparently the university
has already made a decision on the matter, so there's nothing further
anyone can contribute.  We can only hope that it's the right decision,
and that we acted rightly in it ourselves.

--
Michael Allan

Toronto, +1 416-699-9528
http://zelea.com/