[Air-L] CfP-Graduate Student Conference

Herold, David [APSS] david.herold at polyu.edu.hk
Tue Apr 9 23:44:00 PDT 2013

CALL FOR PAPERS: GRADUATE STUDENT CONFERENCE
Novelty / Theory, 26-28 September 2013, Hong Kong
"Research without theory: Questioning ingrained practices and the pursuit of novelty"

(please disseminate! || provisional deadline: 31 May 2013)

Institution: The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (HKPU), Department of Applied Social Sciences (APSS), Hong Kong

Speakers: Prof. Mark Hobart (SOAS, London) & Dr. Robert Hassan (University of Melbourne).

e-mail: noveltheory at gmail.com<mailto:noveltheory at gmail.com>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/noveltheory
Website: http://noveltheory.tumblr.com

The general theme of the Hong Kong Polytechnic University APSS Graduate School conference is "Research without theory: Questioning ingrained practices and the pursuit of novelty" (read more). We paired the two concepts of Novelty and Theory to challenge our sociological imagination and put our own research under scrutiny through some questions: why does it seem so easy and natural to talk about the contemporary in terms of novelty? Why do we think that the originality of our research proposal will be enough to grant it legitimacy? What are the risks of attuning our research to the current concerns of the moment, instead of setting our own theoretical agenda? How can we practice the new without theorizing it constantly? These (and more) questions are the core of a graduate students conference meant to encourage peer interaction, provide a chance for networking across disciplines and exchange insights in a conductive learning environment.

All graduate students in Hong Kong, as well as other local and international graduate students are invited to submit their paper proposals to the conference. Our preference goes to paper presentations, but we also accept posters in case you cannot attend the conference or you prefer to lurk in the shadows of the lunch break.

N/T2013 welcomes contributions from a wide range of disciplines willing to engage with the conference theme from any angle. Areas for possible contributions include, but are not restricted to:

- Anthropology
- Cultural studies
- Humanities
- Psychology
- Social work
- Sociology

...and beyond.

If you are not sure about the way in which your ideas would fit the conference or you want to put some people together and organize a panel, just drop us a line.

Submissions:
All submissions should include a 300-word abstract (in English) and personal details (institutional affiliation, academic qualification, and email address).

Unfortunately, we cannot offer any kind of funding for traveling, accommodation and other expenses, but we will do our best to suggest to you the cheapest options and organize some good meals.

Join us!

The N/T2013 team.

noveltheory at gmail.com<mailto:noveltheory at gmail.com>
http://twitter.com/noveltheory
http://noveltheory.tumblr.com

====================
Dr. David Kurt Herold,
Assistant Prof. for Sociology,
APSS - GH325,
HK Polytechnic University,
Hung Hom, Kowloon,
Hong Kong

Tel.: +852-3400 3015
Fax: +852-2773 6558
http://myweb.polyu.edu.hk/~ssherold/

        Disclaimer:

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and notify the sender and the University immediately. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

The University specifically denies any responsibility for the accuracy or quality of information obtained through University E-mail Facilities. Any views and opinions expressed are only those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent those of the University and the University accepts no liability whatsoever for any losses or damages incurred or caused to any party as a result of the use of such information.