[Air-L] Workshop: Participatory Design for Persons with Cognitive or Sensory Impairments @ Interact2013

Niels Hendriks nielshendriks at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 06:55:42 PDT 2013

*

Are you interested in participatory design and do you work with users with
impairments? We organize a workshop on participatory design for persons
with cognitive or sensory
impairments<http://interact2013impairmentsworkshop.wordpress.com/>at
Interact
2013 <http://www.interact2013.org/> in Cape Town, South Africa. This
workshop will be held on Tuesday September 3rd.

Workshop on participatory design for users with impairments

Involving people with impairments in the design process is very
challenging, especially when impairments affect cognitive functions or
communication. People with such impairments may have substantial problems
with thought processes and communication, including understanding
abstractions, sequencing thoughts and actions, understanding symbols, and
interpreting social cues. Many participatory design techniques are based on
these processes and are therefore not usable, or need to be adjusted for
people with impairments.

Workshop aims

This workshop aims to exchange experiences with participatory design
techniques that were designed for, or adapted to people with impairments.
Since many of these techniques are highly focused on specific target
groups, a further aim is to extract general principles and to generate
guidelines for involving users with impairments in the design process.

Who should attend?

Researchers and designers who have been involved in one or more
design-oriented project(s) involving users with impairments are invited to
participate. After this workshop, a call for papers will be launched for a
special issue (on the topic of the workshop) of the journal CoDesign.

Important dates

   -

   May 15: application deadline
   -

   May 24: notification of acceptance
   -

   September 3: workshop date
   -

   September 4 to 6: Interact main conference

Further information & contact

Please visit our project website for the workshop's programme and to apply
for the workshop: http://interact2013impairmentsworkshop.wordpress.com/.
For more information and questions, please contact Karin Slegers:
karin.slegers at soc.kuleuven.be

We hope to see you in Cape Town in September!*

--
Niels Hendriks
Researcher