[Air-L] CFP: Prototype Turn, Workshop at ACM Creative & Cognition, Sydney, June 17, 2013

Jaz Choi h.choi at qut.edu.au
Sat Apr 20 20:43:52 PDT 2013

PROTOTYPE TURN
ACM Creative & Cognition 2013 Workshop
Sydney, Australia
June 17, 2013
----
From citizen science to critical design and the “maker” movement we are witnessing a “prototype turn” that emphasizes collaborative and open design practices that challenge and redefine the existing social, political, and technical limits (of software and hardware). In recent years, design trends in technological platforms have widely applied concepts such as quantified self, gamification, DIY/maker culture, highlighting and in many cases, advocating open access and (re-)use of data. However, this emphasis towards “openness” is not without problems and drawbacks.

This workshop will bring together scholars, researchers, and practitioners interested in emergent and critical perspectives related to open data across diverse fields from science to arts. The workshop will serve as an active forum to discuss a diverse set of perspectives in order to examine and interrogate the notion of “openness” by looking at specific cases and related social, cultural, political, and technological phenomena surrounding the open access to and (re-)use of data.

The specific goals of this workshop are to:

- Document the emerging and fast evolving space of communities focused around open approaches towards data

- Reflect upon specific instances of open data practices and uses that would benefit from critical thinking around the ‘open ethics’

- Produce a toolkit that helps develop practical and critical strengths for new open data projects.

WORKSHOP STRUCTURE
Participants will be asked to present their papers in this half-day workshop and we will also archive everyone’s papers on the workshop’s website. In the second half of the workshop, we will prepare datasets from existing projects and ask the diverse groups to work together to develop potential kits and tools for stakeholders and communities to deliberate upon the use of open data. These kits and tools will provide the users with pragmatic, as well as critical/theoretical, considerations when working with open data. Participants will present their prototypes and ideas after which we will discuss the results and plan future events and dissemination of output from the workshop.

SUBMISSION FORMAT
Please submit a 2 – 3 page position statement, which includes the following:

- Description of your current project or applications that are related to the open approach towards the use and reuse of data.

- Questions about how theoretical and critical perspectives would inform your own project.

- Ideas or speculations about the trajectory of open ethics in your field of expertise.

- A short biography of the author wishing to attend the workshop (100-150 words).

Applications should be single-authored. We highly encourage teamwork on the day, but would like social interaction, idea iteration, and group formation at the event. We ask participants to submit their applications to prototypeturn at gmail.com by May 16th, 2013

ORGANISERS
Jude Yew, National University of Singapore
Denisa Kera, National University of Singapore
Jaz Hee-jeong Choi, Queensland University of Technology, Australia
Andreas Schlegel, Lasalle College of Arts, Singapore

----
dr. jaz hee-jeong choi
deputy director, urban informatics research lab
school of design, creative industries faculty, qut
// e: h.choi at qut.edu.au
// w: www.nicemustard.com
// p: +617 3138 8190
// m: +61 433 167 151