[Air-L] advice/literature on interviews via Facebook Chat (with minors)

Peter Gloviczki glovi002 at umn.edu
Tue Apr 23 10:19:06 PDT 2013

Janet Salmons' work about conducting online interviews might be helpful to
you. In addition, you should consult with your IRB ahead of time, let them
know what you're up to, and ask for their guidance. IRBs vary considerably,
so be sure you consult the board at your institution. Best of luck, Peter

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 12:06 PM, Benjamin Gleason <horns2k at gmail.com>wrote:

> I second this advice. Lois talked me through IRB ethical/methodological
> issues at great length and with inspiring clarity and coherence.
>
> Hi Lois :)
>
> On Apr 23, 2013, at 1:01 PM, Elijah Wright <elijah.wright at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > You just need to do a Vulcan mind-meld with Lois Scheidt, and then
> > everything will be all right.  ;-)
> >
> > [Lois is the one AoIR-ista I know who has both the adolescent experience
> > and the IRB experience around all these issues - you *need* to talk to
> her,
> > so that you have someone who's already walked through fire with an IRB
> > (both as applicant and as reviewer) and sorted out what's ethical and
> > practically possible around these issues.  Particularly because there are
> > juveniles involved.]
> >
> > --e
> >

> > On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Erica Ciszek <eciszek at uoregon.edu>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi everyone,
> >> I was wondering if folks have advice or suggestions on literature
> >> pertaining to synchronous interviews via Facebook Chat. For my
> dissertation
> >> research I am looking to interview youth (ages 13-18) online and am
> hoping
> >> to do so through Facebook Chat. I've considered other instant message
> >> platforms but Facebook has the most ecological validity for my current
> >> research. However, I am obviously concerned with issues of
> confidentiality
> >> and protection of participants.
> >>
> >> I'd appreciate any suggestions or advice.
> >>
> >> All the best,
> >>
> >> Erica Ciszek
> >> Doctoral Student
> >> Graduate Teaching Fellow
> >> School of Journalism and Communication
> >> University of Oregon
> >> eciszek at uoregon.edu
> >> www.ericaciszek.com

> >> Join the Association of Internet Researchers:
> >> http://www.aoir.org/

> > http://www.aoir.org/

Peter Joseph Gloviczki, Ph.D.
http://petergloviczki.com