[Air-L] (advice sought) Public safety and configuration of list

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Wed Apr 24 20:20:18 PDT 2013

Brian and Elijah,

Brian said:
> If Stanford University, who currently hosts the libtech mailng list
> decides to change the setup in contravention of democratic process
> of the list MEMBERS, then I would hope list members will move to one
> of many other options for hosting.  ...  Is it not worth considering
> that the constant rehashing of this discussion is in itself,
> something reminiscent of the behavior of bad actors attempting to
> derail effective organizing and discussion?

Safety was hardly discussed in public; mostly only off list.  Here's a
short history of the public exchange between the subscribers and the
university, thus far:

  Subs.  When replying to messages sent via the list, I sometimes
         forget to hit "Reply to List".  Instead I hit "Reply to
         Sender".  When I realize my mistake, I must re-send my reply
         to the list.  What a nuisance!  How can we remedy this?

   Uni.  It's possible to alter the sender's Reply-To headers, making
         it *appear* as though the sender had requested replies to be
         sent to the list.  Then it no longer matters which button you
         press; your reply is directed to the list regardless.

  Subs.  Yes, let's do that!

   Uni.  But in our particular list, this may present a safety hazard
         to the public.  Also it requires inserting false information
         into the mail that technically verges on fraud.

  Subs.  (silence)

   Uni.  Did you hear what I said?

  Subs.  How dare you question our democratically reached decision!
         Did *you* not hear what *we* said?

This is perhaps a little unfair.  If a proper discussion had been held
beforehand, then nobody could have *reasonably* agreed to alter the
Reply-To headers without *first* refuting the public safety concerns.
But this was not done; instead there was a vote.  One subscriber even
called for the vote as a means to end the discussion.

And now, when the university is required to decide the matter, *again*
public discussion is to be curtailed?  That is fine, but remember that
reasonable arguments of public safety and wilful mis-information are
still standing.  They have hardly been addressed yet, let alone
refuted.

(Again, pending that decision, I recommend that the configuration be
returned to its default setting.  The default is strongly recommended
by the providers and its safety is unquestioned.)

Elijah Wright said:
> Please don't reply-all on private mail (what this appears to be -
> interim mails did not go to Air-L), and then include lists in the CC
> line. ... it's unethical ...

Apologies for cross-posting, but the mail I quoted was not private:
https://mailman.stanford.edu/pipermail/liberationtech/2013-April/008257.html

Mike