[Air-L] Chinese (or other non-Western) objections to Internet Freedom...

Madeline Carr madeline.carr at aber.ac.uk
Sat Aug 3 03:49:34 PDT 2013

Hi all,

It seems we're all working to get our syllabi together for next semester
and the hunt for quality sources begins. I'm writing a new module on
Internet Freedom and I would like to provide the students with a balanced
account of objections raised by some states like China. There is plenty
available from a Western perspective that critiques Chinese approaches but
I want something that challenges the students to consider alternative
perspectives. This might include the argument about cultural imperialism,
language preservation, social cohesion etc... Could anyone point me to a
good article or chapter that looks at non-Western objections to Internet
Freedom in a balanced way?

Thanks,

Madeline

Dr. Madeline Carr
Lecturer in International Politics and the Cyber Dimension
Department of International Politics
Aberystwyth University
Penglais, Aberystwyth
SY23 3FE Wales