[Air-L] Chinese (or other non-Western) objections to Internet Freedom...

William Dutton william.dutton at oii.ox.ac.uk
Sat Aug 3 05:00:44 PDT 2013

Madeline,

I would not assume Internet freedom is not valued by Internet users in China. Be careful not to take national policy as indicative of the values and attitudes of users. Some of our findings suggest that people in North America, for example, might be more complacent about freedom of expression online than users in the emerging nations of the new Internet world. http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1916005

Our report on freedom of expression for UNESCO looked at a range or ecology of policies that are shaping freedom of expression and connection worldwide, from liability to industrial policy, etc: see: William H. Dutton, Anna Dopatka, Michael Hills, Ginette Law, and Victoria Nash (2011), Freedom of Connection – Freedom of Expression: The Changing Legal and Regulatory Ecology Shaping the Internet. Paris: UNESCO, Division for Freedom of Expression, Democracy and Peace. Reprinted in 2013; Trans. In French and Arabic. http://www.unesco.org/new/en/communication-and-information/resources/publications-and-communication-materials/publications/full-list/freedom-of-connection-freedom-of-expression-the-changing-legal-and-regulatory-ecology-shaping-the-internet/

Good luck with your course,

Bill

On 3 Aug 2013, at 11:49, Madeline Carr wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It seems we're all working to get our syllabi together for next semester
> and the hunt for quality sources begins. I'm writing a new module on
> Internet Freedom and I would like to provide the students with a balanced
> account of objections raised by some states like China. There is plenty
> available from a Western perspective that critiques Chinese approaches but
> I want something that challenges the students to consider alternative
> perspectives. This might include the argument about cultural imperialism,
> language preservation, social cohesion etc... Could anyone point me to a
> good article or chapter that looks at non-Western objections to Internet
> Freedom in a balanced way?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Madeline
>
> Dr. Madeline Carr
> Lecturer in International Politics and the Cyber Dimension
> Department of International Politics
> Aberystwyth University
> Penglais, Aberystwyth
> SY23 3FE Wales