[Air-L] Utility of listserv vs. Facebook board?

Prof. Dr. Nadia Kutscher n.kutscher at katho-nrw.de
Mon Aug 5 02:20:42 PDT 2013

Dear Nicholas,

thanks for this suggestion. As a person critical to the digital enclosure of Facebook etc. I would suggest if there should be something like that at all to set up a structure not based on a system such as Facebook but being open without contributing to data mining etc.

Best regards

Nadia Kutscher

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Prof. Dr. Nadia Kutscher
Catholic University of Applied Sciences NRW
Department Cologne
Woerthstr. 10
D-50668 Koeln
Germany
Phone: +49-(0)221 7757 186
Fax: +49-(0)221 7757 180
E-Mail: n.kutscher at katho-nrw.de
Please note: From September 1st 2013 I am starting a new professorship at University of Vechta. New e-mail address: nadia.kutscher at uni-vechta.de
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Nicholas Bowman <Nicholas.Bowman at mail.wvu.edu> hat geschrieben:

AoIR pals!

As a new member to the organization, I had wondered perhaps if this e-mail listserv really is the best space for many of the transactional-type discussions that happen between members. On the one hand, it's very cool (and inspiring) to see such a vibrant discussion between motivated and intelligent people, but on the other hand there are days in which I will receive as many as 20 different AoIR e-mails - often a chronology of a conversation between a few members that I might or might not be specifically involved in (besides my tangential connection to both as an AoIR member).

To this end, I wonder if the organization has (or might) consider using a different channel for these transactional-type discussions, such as a closed Facebook page, that provides members an "opt-in" and persistent space for more detailed discussions. As the Web and Publications Editor for the Mass Communication of NCA (National Communication Association), I have facilitated such a page for our 1200+ members for the better half of three years, and we've seen quite a few members (about 500 currently "following" the page) log in and share research and scholarly opinions in the space - which has taken quite a bit of pressure off of our listserv. I realize of course there are likely many reasons why we don't have such a space, but I'm just wondering if using the current AoIR listserv as a bulletin board and discussion place is the most functional use of the technology; as a new member, it can often times be overwhelming.

Of course, should there be any interest in such a project - using Facebook, or some other technology that is more easily assessible/less likely to see us all anti-aging cream on a daily basis - I'd be more than happy to assist. Or, I'll just continue to acclimate to the AoIR listserv, as I go find it generally useful.

Just a few thoughts from a new member - I do not mean to shake the apple tree so please to not take this note as anything more than an "outside looking in" observation. Glad to be a member, and eager for my first AoIR this Fall in Denver. =)

~nick

Nicholas David Bowman, Ph.D.
( http://ndbowman.info/ )Assistant Professor of Communication Studies;
Research Associate, Media and Interaction Lab
West Virginia University

Web and Publications Editor, Mass Communication Division
National Communication Association

Vice-Chair, Game Studies Interest Group
International Communication Association

Interim Social Media Director