[Air-L] AoIR Wiki Was: A suggestion for reading lists and syllabi

Michael Zimmer zimmerm at uwm.edu
Wed Aug 7 20:21:47 PDT 2013

I want to express my strong preference for the organization to have its wiki on aoir.org domain, controlled by us, and not monetized (and web-bugged) by third parties.

Currently on http://aoir.wikia.com/ I'm confronted by a Skylanders advertisement, Mazda banner, and a "Naked and Afraid" video commercial. And that's just on the top of the page....

There are also 8 tracking bugs/cookies being added to by browser.

I don't understand why we can't host MediaWiki and lock down editing so it doesn't get overun by spambots. I've had MW on my own site for years, and by requiring a user account to edit (and I control who gets user accounts), there's zero spam.

$0.02,
Michael

--
Michael Zimmer, PhD
Assistant Professor, School of Information Studies
e: zimmerm at uwm.edu
w: www.michaelzimmer.org