[Air-L] China: networked individualism and Internet work-arounds

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Mon Aug 5 05:53:50 PDT 2013

I echo Charles Ess in noting the rise of individualism in China. (Or to
put it another way, the ending of the short-term Cultural Rev suppression
of individualism.)

Dare I call it "Networked Individualism" cause people are multiply
connected.

Our Networked book explicitly looked only at North America, but I'd love
to see folks extend the ideas to Asia (N, S, SE) and Europe.

On another, related note: peeps shouldnt assume that because authorities
block FB & Twitter, that no one can get. My admittedly non-random sample
has work-arounds, which I won't disclose. But I will disclose that U
Toronto's Citizen Lab headed by Ron Deibert has been getting
work-around software to China, Iran, etc. for years. All hail

PS: Blocking of FB in China another reason NOT to move this list to FB.

   Barry Wellman

   NetLab Director                   FRSC                  INSNA Founder
   Faculty of Information (iSchool)                 611 Bissell Building
   140 St. George St.    University of Toronto    Toronto Canada M5S 3G6

   MIT Press            http://amzn.to/zXZg39      Print $22  Kindle $16
                  Old/NewCyberTimes http://bit.ly/c8N9V8