[Air-L] gnip now offering geolocation of twitter profiles and text

kalev leetaru kalev.leetaru5 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 13:59:06 PDT 2013

Hi everyone, for those of you trying to map tweets in your work, I just saw
that GNIP is now offering geographic enrichment of their Twitter stream
that geocodes both the Location information in user profiles AND the tweet
text itself (it separates the two) and makes this available as lat/long
data for mapping/filtering/etc alongside the traditional sensor-based and
software-set Exact Location and Place geographic fields.

http://blog.gnip.com/twitter-geo-data-enrichment/

While GNIP is using their own engine for this, you can see an overview of
what the profile and tweet text geography of Twitter looks like in my paper
from earlier this year:

http://firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/4366/3654

Thought I would share this with the list since using GNIP's stream you can
now essentially leave the geographic coding to them and just get an
additional set of metadata for each tweet capturing what geographic
information it contains, making it trivial to map tweets both by where they
are coming from and where they are talking about...

Kalev Leetaru
Yahoo! Fellow in Residence
Institute for the Study of Diplomacy
Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service
Georgetown University