[Air-L] IM interviews not interviews?

Jenny Davis jdavis4 at neo.tamu.edu
Sun Aug 18 10:47:15 PDT 2013

Hi Alex,

I am writing for Sociology. I'm aware of several articles that defend the use of Instant Message, and several that point out the weaknesses, but haven't been able to find one that says they are categorically NOT interviews.

Here are some citations I use in the paper:

Traverse, Max. New methods, old problems: A sceptical view of innovation in qualitative research. Qualitative Research. 9:161

Enochsson, Ann-Britt. 2011. “Who Benefits from Synchronous Online Communication?: A Comparison of Face-to-Face and Synchronous Online Interviews with Children.” Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences: 15-22

Markham, Annette N. 2013. Remix Culture, Remix Methods: Reframing Qualitative Inquiry for Social Media Contexts. In Denzin, N., & Giardina, M (Eds.). Global Dimensions of Qualitative Inquiry. Left Coast Press.

Hesse-Biber, Sharlene and Amy J. Griffin. 2013. “ Internet-Mediated Technologies and Mixed Methods Research: Problems and Prospects. “ Journal of Mixed Methods Research 7(1):43-61.

Beneito-Montagut, Roser. 2011. “Ethnography Goes Online: Towards a User-Centered Methodology to Research Interpersonal Communication on the Internet.” Qualitative Research 11(6):716-735

I could certainly also include some older stuff (like Hine's virtual ethnography or Miller and Slater's book), but I the more recent stuff pretty much subsumes those texts.

Thanks!!

Jenny