[Air-L] Chinese (or other non-Western) objections to Internet Freedom...

Madeline Carr madeline.carr at aber.ac.uk
Sat Aug 3 05:49:22 PDT 2013

Hi Bill,

Thanks so much for that - I have seen your excellent UNESCO report but
wasn't aware of the Working Paper.

And I agree with your comment on the possible disjuncture between state and
civil society approaches, of course. Perhaps I should have clarified - this
module is an International Politics course so as part of it, I'm asking the
students to critically analyse state policies and the underlying arguments
that shape them. That's easy for the US/EU because there is so much
material available but I have a lot of difficulty sourcing a
straightforward framing of alternative views - in English. By presenting
them with a 'Western' interpretation that critiques those alternative
approaches, I fear they are relieved of the intellectual burden of thinking
it through for themselves. It's just a pedagocial preference of mine to
problematise these issues.

If anyone else is teaching Internet Freedom in an International Relations
context (Bill, I think you mentioned to me that you had in the past?) I'd
be very open to input or suggestions. I really need to nail this before
holidays so I can concentrate on Italy!

Madeline

Dr. Madeline Carr
Lecturer in International Politics and the Cyber Dimension
Department of International Politics
Aberystwyth University
Penglais, Aberystwyth
SY23 3FE Wales