[Air-L] Self-determined publics

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Mon Aug 5 10:43:39 PDT 2013

Jack and all,

Thanks for the helpful pointers.  I received one additional pointer
off list, namely to Michael Warner (Publics and counterpublics).
I also constructed a rough prototype of a "staked boundary", as
sketched in the original post.

> The Occupy movement, especially OccupySandy meets your broad
> definition.

That's true, and I didn't realize it.  It got me thinking that even
this mailing list meets the definition.  The boundaries of both the
mailing list and the Occupy movement are defined by formal criteria,
not just topical criteria.  On reflection, this seems inconsistent
with other parts of the definition.

So I think I was wrong to allow formal criteria for this purpose.  We
may speak correctly of a self-determined public *on the topic* of the
Occupy movement, but not *in the form* of an occupation, or *in the
form* of a movement.  Restricting the public to a given form is almost
certain to restrict access, making it less of a public.  The form of
the Occupy movement in particular seems more appropriate to the
definition of a counterpublic (Warner), than to a public.  So I think
publics are better identified by topical criteria alone, as in the
original definition I posted earlier to Liberationtech:
https://mailman.stanford.edu/pipermail/liberationtech/2013-July/010399.html

I put together a rough prototype of a "staked boundary", which here I
call a "public mirror".  This is the front of the mirror where the
image of the public is reflected: http://www.reddit.com/r/MirMir/new/
The topic there is "mirroring and the self-determination of publics";
so I'm thinking it might be possible to bootstrap one of these things.

Mike