[Air-L] 2013 AoIR Book Award

Alexander Halavais halavais at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 21:40:57 PDT 2013

Dear AoIR Members and future members:

It gives me great pleasure to announce the winner of the 2013 AoIR
Book Award, which celebrates an outstanding book published in the
previous year that addresses issues relating to our field.

The book is Julie E. Cohen's "Configuring the networked self : Law,
code, and the play of everyday practice," published by Yale University
Press (http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/0300125437).

The committee noted that the book was well organized and written in an
accessible style, while remaining provocative. They appreciated the
grounding of the argument in user practice, and Cohen's ability to
account for the reality of decentered subjectivity and creativity.

I want to thank the committee for their time and careful attention to
many submissions in a short amount of time. Thank you, Steve Jones,
T.L. Taylor, and Klaus Bruhn Jensen for taking on the task.

And congratulations to Prof. Cohen on her contribution to the field.

Sincerely,

Alex Halavais