[Air-L] "Pathways to Meaning" with Kendall and Markham

MC Cambre mcambre at ualberta.ca
Wed Aug 7 07:16:56 PDT 2013

Hi All,
The course sounds amazing.
Just a friendly note on Aarhus University that some may wish to be aware
of. The academic freedom situation appears to be problematic.
I am not advising to act one way or another, just an awareness thing
regarding ethically significant issues and how we implicate ourselves.
I was going to apply for a position at Aarhus but changed my mind after
looking into this matter (available on wikipedia for what that is worth!)
Cheminova controversy and academic freedom at AU

Aarhus University is the owner of the chemical manufacturer Cheminova, who
controversially has been selling the methyl parathion pesticide to Brazil
farmers.[41]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aarhus_University#cite_note-42>

(you may or may not know that this is not simply a "controversial"
pesticide, but in fact a deadly one, especially to bees)

In 2009, senior researcher Mette Jensen emailed her colleagues at AU,
asking whether they thought Cheminova should stop selling the controversial
pesticides. For this, the university threatened her with
dismissal.[42]<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aarhus_University#cite_note-43>

The university's Pro-Vice-Chancellor Søren E. Frandsen denies that the
university had made any mistakes or threatened the freedom of speech and
academic freedom of its
staff.[43]<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aarhus_University#cite_note-44>
HERE IS LINK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aarhus_University

Kind regards,