[Air-L] Call for Papers - Eastern Communication Association (CMC Division)

Nicholas Bowman Nicholas.Bowman at mail.wvu.edu
Fri Aug 9 12:22:22 PDT 2013

Call for Papers 2014

Communication and Technology Interest Group
105th Annual Eastern Communication Association Convention
“Communities of Dissent: A “Lively Experiment” in Dialogue, Diversity,
and Discourse”
Providence, Rhode Island
Omni Providence Hotel
April 23-27, 2014

Submission Deadline: Monday, October 15, 2013
The Communication and Technology Interest Group of the Eastern
Communication Association invites the submission of competitive papers,
thematic program/panel proposals, and innovative programming
alternatives (e.g., roundtables, symposia, debates, open forums, and
community programs) for the 105th annual convention of the ECA. The 2014
convention’s theme, “Communities of Dissent”, explores the expression
and suppression of dissent across communication contexts—relational,
organizational, mediated, social, and political—and the attendant
implications for such concerns as relational quality, community
identification, civic engagement, public dialogue, accountability, and
justice.
Founded as a haven for religious dissenters, Providence is a city
intimately shaped by discourses of disagreement. This year’s conference
theme, “Communities of Dissent,” is inspired by the tradition of dissent
that has marked the city’s long and notable history. Dissent can be
transformational, a lively experiment in tolerance and freedom of
conscience.  When accepted and encouraged, dissent can be an important
monitoring force, providing correctives for unethical behavior,
unfavorable decision-making, and insensitivity to others’ needs. Dissent
can also be dangerous, undermining sound and orderly government, and
fueling conflict and aggression.
The convention, as always, features panels, round tables, short
courses, and programming on the convention theme. In addition, the
Fourth Annual James C. McCroskey and Virginia P. Richmond Undergraduate
Scholars Conference (USC) will run concurrently with the ECA convention
on Friday and Saturday (April 25-26). USC papers will be accepted
through December 20, 2013, to enable scholarly student papers from the
fall semester to be submitted.
Submissions to the Communication and Technology Interest Group should
adhere to the following guidelines:
COMPETITIVE PAPERS

Mission Statement for the Communication and Technology Interest Group:
To encourage the exploration and dissemination of
information/communication technologies that influence our perceptions of
human communication endeavors.
Authors are invited to submit competitive papers on any aspect of
communication and technology from any theoretical, methodological, or
critical perspective.  Excluding title page, notes, and references,
papers should be no longer than 25 pages. Papers longer than 25 pages
may not be reviewed.

Authors who have not presented a paper at a regional, national, or
international convention should include the word "DEBUT" in the upper
right-hand corner of the title page. Papers authored by current
undergraduate or graduate students should include the word "STUDENT" in
the upper right-hand corner of the title page. (All of the paper's
authors must meet the "debut" or "student" criterion for the paper to be
so designated.)

Competitive papers should be submitted via e-mail as TWO Separate MS
Word files.

File #1 must include:
1.     A title page with the title of the paper and the following
information: names of all authors (in cases of multiple authorship,
please indicate who will be presenting at the convention), institutional
affiliations, mailing addresses, telephone numbers, and email
addresses.
2.     An abstract page including a 100-150 word abstract of the paper.
The title of the paper should appear on the same page as this abstract.
3.     A statement of professional responsibility, as follows: "In
submitting the attached paper, I/We recognize that this submission is
considered a professional responsibility. I/We agree to present this
paper if it is accepted. I/We further recognize that all who attend and
present at ECA's annual meeting must register and pay required fees."
Papers that do not include this statement will not be programmed.
4.     The full paper and reference pages, appendixes, etc.
File #2 must include:
1.      A title page with no author/s names (the second paper which
will be sent out for review should include no information that
identifies the author/s anywhere in this submission).
2.      An abstract page (see above).
3.      A statement of professional responsibility (see above).
4.      The full paper and reference pages, appendixes, etc.
PANELS AND OTHER PROGRAMS
Panels should focus on a unifying theme relevant to research, theory,
or criticism in the area of communication and technology. Panels themes
should attempt not to repeat session topics from past conferences.
Panels are encouraged to include presenters from more than one
institution.  Panels must consist of a chair, paper presenters, and a
respondent. Panels and other programs that could be co-sponsored with
other interest groups are strongly encouraged - please send your panel
to both interest groups at the same time so that those planners may
manage the submission together.  Please note in your email your
intention to have the panel co-sponsored if that is your plan.
Panel and other program proposals should include the following:
1.     A thematic title for the program
2.     Names of the chair and respondents, if any.  Please do not have
chairs act as respondents.
3.     Names, mailing addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses,
and institutional affiliations of all participants.
4.     Titles and abstracts for each paper or presentation
5.     A program copy (of NO MORE than 75 words description of the
panel) as it should appear in the final program
6.     A detailed rationale for the program/panel
7.     A statement of professional responsibility “In submitting the
attached paper, I/We recognize that this submission is considered a
professional responsibility. I/We agree to present this paper if it is
accepted. I/We further recognize that all who attend and present at
ECA's annual meeting must register and pay required fees.”
Requests for the use of technology at the conference must be made at
the time of submission and we will attempt to make arrangements as
resources allow. Any requests made after that time cannot be honored.
Conference Absenteeism: Attendees who do not present scheduled papers
should not list presentations on academic vitas. Presenters unable to
attend the conference after being notified of their acceptance and
presenters with last minute emergency issues preventing attendance
should notify the planner as soon as possible and consider alternative
presentation arrangements.
Electronic Filing Formats: Proposals must be submitted only in MS WORD.
Only electronic submissions will be reviewed. Submissions should be
attached and e-mailed to David Westerman., the Communication and
Technology Interest Group program planner, at dkwNF2008 at gmail.com.
PLEASE, write “2014 ECA Communication and Technology Interest Group
Submission” in the subject line of your email.

Submissions must be received no later than Monday, October 15, 2013.
Questions can be addressed to David Westerman at dkwNF2008 at gmail.com