[Air-L] "Pathways to Meaning" with Kendall and Markham

Sanaz Raji sanaz.raji at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 08:32:44 PDT 2013

Hi Charles:

Thank you for your thoughts on the comments that both I and Carolina have
made. I am heartened when you write that colleagues of yours at AU have put
up an "good fight" concerning the Cheminova issue. Regarding my comment, by
no means am I suggesting that AoIR members boycott AU and not attend
Annette's course. My comments are general reflections on the matter of
critically engaging with the institutions we work/research in.

At the University of Leeds, I have been apart of and witnessed research
postgraduate students collectively organize to oppose further job/pay
reductions for teaching assistants (TAs). For two years, a group of former
and current TAs organize to encourage the university to give full
employment status, adequate payment, and hours for TAs. It was upsetting,
though not shocking to learn that a good many departments, TAs made less
than minimum wage. Confronted with this information, I rarely if ever saw
support from senior lecturers or professors, except for a few in the
Geography department who were very sympathetic from the onset.

In 2010 when academic staff jobs at the University of Leeds where on the
line, many lecturers asked students for their solidarity and support when
they took part in strikes, which of course many students gave and were
instrumental in taking part in those strikes. Yet, when postgraduate
research students organized and asked their mentors and supervisors for the
same kind of solidarity and support, they were instead met with silence,
and a few were actively harassed by superiors they thought they could
trust.  PhD poverty is a real issue that many of my close friends grapple
with day in day out. Senior lecturers and professors have the the *privilege
*to change existing inequalities within academia in order to make higher
education fair and accessible.  Unfortunately, their inaction speaks louder
than their words against austerity or neoliberalism in higher education.
This example is just one of many of the complicity that we need to actively
fight within academia.

Best wishes:
Sanaz

--